Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cyndelouwho22 cyndelouwho22 is offline

Default Why does it jump to new headings after each line typed?

Hi there. Whenever I type a poem or a story or just about anything, when I
get to the second line (or sometimes when I'm just changing paragraphs) it
will jump to a whole different heading setting and when I set it back, there
will be a big gap and lines between where I had typed and where it will let
me type now. It's very infuriating! How can I fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 08:32:00 -0700, cyndelouwho22
wrote:

Hi there. Whenever I type a poem or a story or just about anything, when I
get to the second line (or sometimes when I'm just changing paragraphs) it
will jump to a whole different heading setting and when I set it back, there
will be a big gap and lines between where I had typed and where it will let
me type now. It's very infuriating! How can I fix this?

This behavior -- which indeed infuriating when you don't know where it comes
from -- is part of a supposedly helpful feature called AutoFormat As You Type.
This part sees that you've typed a short line and assumes you meant that to be a
heading, so it applies a heading style to it.

If you think this feature is actually helpful except in a few specific
instances, you can let it happen and then immediately click the Undo button
(shortcut Ctrl+Z) to undo the style change.

To turn the feature off completely, go to Tools AutoCorrect Options
AutoFormat As You Type (NOT the similar tab that just says AutoFormat) and
uncheck the option "Built-in heading styles".

There are other options on that dialog that are similarly annoying to most
users. Read http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...AutoFormat.htm for
descriptions and recommendations.

--
Regards,