Bob Day

Default Tracking changes of review only

As the sole author of a document, I want to track changes by 1 other person
that reviews it (but not track changes that I make). I have done everything
correctly to Protect the document to track changes, but I find that it
tracks my changes (i.e. the author) as well as the reveiwer. I would like
it to only track changes from the reviewer.

Is there any way to have it track changes from the review alone (and not the
author, which would be me)?

Also, on my changes that have been tracked, the Review Tool bar Accept
Changes button is grayed out, so I cannot even accept them.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Bob

Beth Melton

When you turn on Track Changes then all changes in the document will
be tracked. If you don't want your changes to be tracked then turn on
Track Changes prior to sending the document to the reviewer. If that
can not be done then on the Reviewing toolbar you can show just the
Reviewer's changes and not your own using the Show/Reviewers command.

Also, if you used Tools/Protect Document/Track Changes then this
places the document in a little more of a protected state and doesn't
allow accepting/rejecting changes. (Think sending the document to
another individual and you want *every* modification to appear.)

Instead, unprotect the document and turn on Track Changes either by
double-clicking "TRK" in the status bar or by going to Tools/Track
Changes.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word