COE

Default Cross Reference shows as Zero

Hi all you fancy word folks out there,

Thanks for your help in the past but I have another sticky problem for you.

I'm usually cross referencing as paragraph (full context) to a paragraph
with outline numbering.

Fairly often when I do this, the cross reference shows up as 0. If I hit
the button to insert the cross reference again, then it inserts properly.
This is really annoying, as it means I have to go through the process of
finding the correct clause & hitting insert twice, and then go and delete the
field that didn't work.

Any reasons why this would be happening. I am using Word 2000.

Thanks in advance folks.

PS. out of curiousity, if I follow the 0 cross reference, it goes to the
beginning of the document! I suppose that makes sense. Somehow.
macropod

This usually means the xref has been corrupted. Another symptom can be that
an xref that repeats the source text suddenly adds extra text.

Corruption is especially likely if you cut the source and paste it elsewhere
or, of course, if you delete it entirely.

Cheers

"COE" wrote in message
Hi all you fancy word folks out there,

Thanks for your help in the past but I have another sticky problem for

you.

I'm usually cross referencing as paragraph (full context) to a paragraph
with outline numbering.

Fairly often when I do this, the cross reference shows up as 0. If I hit
the button to insert the cross reference again, then it inserts properly.
This is really annoying, as it means I have to go through the process of
finding the correct clause & hitting insert twice, and then go and delete

the
field that didn't work.

Any reasons why this would be happening. I am using Word 2000.

Thanks in advance folks.

PS. out of curiousity, if I follow the 0 cross reference, it goes to the
beginning of the document! I suppose that makes sense. Somehow.

COE

Thanks macropod,

I've never seen the second sympton you mention, but I have had the Cross
reference come up and "0" in many documents the first time I try to insert it.

I don't know what has been done to these documents in the past, but it does
seem alarming that I have seen this happen so often.

Could this be caused by inserting formatted autotexts with numbering into
the existing numbering?? That's the only thing that has been done in most of
these documents.

Cheers,
Caroline.

"COE" wrote in message
Hi all you fancy word folks out there,

Thanks for your help in the past but I have another sticky problem for

you.

I'm usually cross referencing as paragraph (full context) to a paragraph
with outline numbering.

Fairly often when I do this, the cross reference shows up as 0. If I hit
the button to insert the cross reference again, then it inserts properly.
This is really annoying, as it means I have to go through the process of
finding the correct clause & hitting insert twice, and then go and delete

the
field that didn't work.

Any reasons why this would be happening. I am using Word 2000.

Thanks in advance folks.

PS. out of curiousity, if I follow the 0 cross reference, it goes to the
beginning of the document! I suppose that makes sense. Somehow.

macropod

Hi Caroline,

Well, if you're inserting something into the cross-reference number field,
that would certainly screw things up.

Cheers

"COE" wrote in message
[...]

COE

The autotexts are more like extra paragraphs that use the same numbering
style, so we're not inserting anything into the field itself. For one thing,
since I always keep field shading on, that would look pretty weird :-)