Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeff Macaroni Jeff Macaroni is offline

Default 15 Second Launch Time for winword.exe

No matter how I launch word, it takes about 15 seconds for it to display, and
it's killing me. The other office apps launch quickly (1-2 seconds).
Everything else on this machine is lightening fast. While I am waiting for
it to launch, the winword.exe process is shown at 50%. This machine has two
(virtual) processors, and one is pegged at 100%, and the other is nearly
idle. It's not related to memory paging. I have zero com add-ins or startup
documents.

This is a new-ish Dell Optiplex with an Intel 3.4Ghz proc and 2GB of RAM.

I'd love to hear any suggestions of what is causing the delay.

Thanks!!

From SysInfo:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

Microsoft Office Word 2003
Application name: Microsoft Word
Version: 11.0
Build: 8125
Product ID: (snip)
Application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11
Language English: (United States)
System language designation: English (U.S.)
Active printer: \\mycompaniesdomain\printername on NE04:

Documents open: 2
Document name: Document14
Document path: Document14
Document size: 10.7 KB
Document create date: 7/14/2008 12:48:00 PM

Templates: 1
Template name: Normal.dot
Template path: C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff.Macaroni\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates
Template type: Normal

Add-Ins: 0

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Smith Brian Smith is offline

"Jeff Macaroni" wrote in message
news
No matter how I launch word, it takes about 15 seconds for it to display,
and
it's killing me. The other office apps launch quickly (1-2 seconds).
Everything else on this machine is lightening fast. While I am waiting
for
it to launch, the winword.exe process is shown at 50%. This machine has
two
(virtual) processors, and one is pegged at 100%, and the other is nearly
idle. It's not related to memory paging. I have zero com add-ins or
startup
documents.

This is a new-ish Dell Optiplex with an Intel 3.4Ghz proc and 2GB of RAM.

I'd love to hear any suggestions of what is causing the delay.

Thanks!!

Jeff, do you have a *lot* of files in your start up folder that are loading?

Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you start Word using the /a switch (Start - [Run] - winword.exe /a), does
it still exhibit the delay?

If not, then you might have a corrupted Normal.dotm or registry key. See
this article for information on cures:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Jeff Macaroni" wrote in message
news
No matter how I launch word, it takes about 15 seconds for it to display,
and
it's killing me. The other office apps launch quickly (1-2 seconds).
Everything else on this machine is lightening fast. While I am waiting
for
it to launch, the winword.exe process is shown at 50%. This machine has
two
(virtual) processors, and one is pegged at 100%, and the other is nearly
idle. It's not related to memory paging. I have zero com add-ins or
startup
documents.

This is a new-ish Dell Optiplex with an Intel 3.4Ghz proc and 2GB of RAM.

I'd love to hear any suggestions of what is causing the delay.

Thanks!!

From SysInfo: