Anita

Default 2 AutoText questions

How can I put a list of autotext entry names from my normal template into an
Excel spreadsheet or a word table. I don't want to just print them out I
want to be able to type notes next to each one.

Also, is there any way that you can create a new group when you click the
All Entries button on the Autotext toolbar. I have about 200 entries under
normal and I want to break them down so they are not all under the normal
heading.

Many thanks.
Charles Kenyon

The first will require a macro. As to your second question, AutoText entries
are organized by Style. So, to create different groups, use different
styles. Take a look at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Anita" wrote in message
How can I put a list of autotext entry names from my normal template into
an
Excel spreadsheet or a word table. I don't want to just print them out I
want to be able to type notes next to each one.

Also, is there any way that you can create a new group when you click the
All Entries button on the Autotext toolbar. I have about 200 entries
under
normal and I want to break them down so they are not all under the normal
heading.

Many thanks.

One solution that is often suggested for creating documents via printing is
as follows:

1. Select Generic/Text Only as your printer.

2. Select "AutoText entries" under "Print what."

3. Check the box for "Print to file."

4. When you hit OK, you'll be asked for a filename.

5. A plain text file will be created; you can open this and save it as a
Word document (.doc file) and manipulate the contents any way you like (for
example, you could convert the text to a table, then add another column for
your comments).

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"Anita" wrote in message
How can I put a list of autotext entry names from my normal template

into
an
Excel spreadsheet or a word table. I don't want to just print them out

want to be able to type notes next to each one.

Also, is there any way that you can create a new group when you click

the
All Entries button on the Autotext toolbar. I have about 200 entries
under
normal and I want to break them down so they are not all under the

normal
heading.

Many thanks.

Charles Kenyon

I haven't written the macro. It would cycle through the AutoText entries
collection and put the information into a file. You might want to ask for
help writing it in the vba.beginners newsgroup. If possible, I would suggest
a four-column table with one column for the name of the entry, one for the
entry itself, a third for the style or category, and a fourth for the name
of the template holding the entry.
--

"Anita" wrote in message
How can I put a list of autotext entry names from my normal template
into
an
Excel spreadsheet or a word table. I don't want to just print them out
want to be able to type notes next to each one.

Also, is there any way that you can create a new group when you click
the
All Entries button on the Autotext toolbar. I have about 200 entries
under
normal and I want to break them down so they are not all under the
normal
heading.

Many thanks.

I tried this, and I have to agree that its usefulness is limited. Naturally
any graphic AutoText entries are not correctly represented, but Word also
seems to wrap the entries as displayed in the AutoText dialog window and pad
out with spaces. It would probably be more trouble than it was worth to turn
it into anything useful. Sorry.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

One solution that is often suggested for creating documents via printing

is
as follows:

1. Select Generic/Text Only as your printer.

2. Select "AutoText entries" under "Print what."

3. Check the box for "Print to file."

4. When you hit OK, you'll be asked for a filename.

5. A plain text file will be created; you can open this and save it as a
Word document (.doc file) and manipulate the contents any way you like

(for
example, you could convert the text to a table, then add another column

for
your comments).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"Anita" wrote in message
How can I put a list of autotext entry names from my normal template

into
an
Excel spreadsheet or a word table. I don't want to just print them

out
want to be able to type notes next to each one.

Also, is there any way that you can create a new group when you

click
the
All Entries button on the Autotext toolbar. I have about 200

entries
under
normal and I want to break them down so they are not all under the

normal
heading.

Many thanks.

How do I save my AutoText file to transfer it to another PC? kd1s Microsoft Word Help 3 September 21st 05 07:39 AM
Autotext Headings Bryan Microsoft Word Help 4 January 6th 05 05:39 PM
How do I move my autotext data from word2000 to office 2003 troyw Microsoft Word Help 2 December 14th 04 11:30 PM
AutoText Karen Microsoft Word Help 1 December 8th 04 03:08 PM
Autotext in footer pinkytoes Microsoft Word Help 2 December 2nd 04 09:09 AM