Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
buda buda is offline

Default how to type text onto scanned form saved directly from file/save

how can i type onto a scanned document downloaded directly from scanner to
file/save as
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Short answer - You don't.

The scanned file is a graphic, not a text document. In order to make an
editable file you need special OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software
that can preserve the layout of the form as well as the text content. The
good stuff is expensive & the "cheap" stuff is typically ineffective.

The scan you have can be inserted into the header layer of a Word doc as a
picture, but then you'll have to go through all sorts of machinations to
insert text boxes and/or fields to be aligned with the "fill-in" areas...
Typically a lot of work which may be worthwhile if you'll need to reuse the
finished product, but probably easier to recreate your own form using the
scanned version as a model.

If it's a one time thing just print the scan & fill in by hand:-)

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/20/07 6:59 AM, in article
, "buda"
wrote:

how can i type onto a scanned document downloaded directly from scanner to
file/save as

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
buda buda is offline

Default how to type text onto scanned form saved directly from file/sa

I have done as you suggested and its now sitting on my screen with OCR
approval but I still can't type onto the doc. what should I do next to
activate OCR

with thanks
Buda