Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
clark_x_zhang clark_x_zhang is offline

Default Question realated to paragraph vs. character styles

Hi,
Do you guys know whether it's possible to have a style that just
specifies the paragraph-level properties of a body of text and not the
character-level properties of a body of text? I'm working with notes with
colored font in outline format. Sometimes I'd like to change outline level
of bodies of text in the outline, but when I change outline level by applying
list-linked paragraph styles, I lose the coloring of my font.

Thanks for your help,
Clark
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] is offline

Hi Clark,

If you select some text in a paragraph and apply a different paragraph style
to it, the font formatting of the new style will be applied only to the
selected text. Thus, you can preserve your text color by adding one character
to the paragraph, selecting it, applying the new paragraph style, and then
deleting the character that you added.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"clark_x_zhang" wrote:

Hi,
Do you guys know whether it's possible to have a style that just
specifies the paragraph-level properties of a body of text and not the
character-level properties of a body of text? I'm working with notes with
colored font in outline format. Sometimes I'd like to change outline level
of bodies of text in the outline, but when I change outline level by applying
list-linked paragraph styles, I lose the coloring of my font.

Thanks for your help,
Clark

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] is offline

Hi Clark,

I'm sorry. The technique that I suggested won't help you because the
paragraph formatting defined in the style will not be applied when you have
some text selected.
--

"clark_x_zhang" wrote:

Hi,
Do you guys know whether it's possible to have a style that just
specifies the paragraph-level properties of a body of text and not the
character-level properties of a body of text? I'm working with notes with
colored font in outline format. Sometimes I'd like to change outline level
of bodies of text in the outline, but when I change outline level by applying
list-linked paragraph styles, I lose the coloring of my font.

Thanks for your help,
Clark

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

I sounds like you are using a multilevel/outline list with list levels linked
to styles. If, say, the style linked to level 2 is red and that linked to
level 3 is black, then changing the list level from 2 to 3 changes the style
and loses the color. If you need to keep the color of certain elements in
your outline no matter what the outline level is, use a character style or
direct formatting.

Pam