Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lavanya Halliwell Lavanya Halliwell is offline

Default problem opening document in word 2007 version

has anyone go this error before? if so how did you fix it? this same file I
can open on a friends computer.

I think I need to "enable" the item, but I don't how to do this. how do you
disable/enable items in word?
If it is under the help menu, I can't find this. I am very new to office
2007 version, even though it's really is older version of MS office.

This error may appear if you attempt to open a file marked as damaged or
disabled by a Microsoft Office system program. Each time an attempt is made
to open the file ? even if the file was recovered or repaired ? will cause
this error to appear and other currently open files or programs to suspend.
The file is in the Disabled Items list because, in previous attempts to open
the file, it has caused the program to fault or shut down more than once.
Microsoft Project, Microsoft SharePoint Designer, and Microsoft OneNote: If
the file was properly recovered, replaced, or deleted, you can remove the
file from the list of disabled files (re-enable the file) by selecting Help,
About Microsoft Office Application Name, and then clicking Disabled Items.
Select the disabled item that you want to re-enable, and then click Enable.
Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Publisher, and Microsoft
InfoPath: If the file was properly recovered, replaced, or deleted, you can
remove the file from the list of disabled files (re-enable the file) by
selecting Tools, Trust Center, and then selecting Add-ins. In the Manage
list, click the arrow and select Disabled Items, click Go, and then select
the disabled item that you want to re-enable.
Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Microsoft Word:
If the file was properly recovered, replaced, or deleted, you can remove the
file from the list of disabled files (re-enable the file) by clicking the
Microsoft Office button, and then clicking Application Name Options. In the
Manage list, click the arrow and select Disabled Items, click Go, and then
select the disabled item that you want to re-enable.
Re-enabling a file does not guarantee the application can open it. The file
must be recovered from either a backup or undamaged recovered file.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lavanya Halliwell[_2_] Lavanya Halliwell[_2_] is offline

for what it's worth....(scenario)....

1. friend sends me .docx version of this same file BUT WITH DIFFERENT FILE
NAME, (not .doc)....
2. I open word 2007
3. I open file, and after selecting the .zip file, (as .docx appears as .zip
in my case)
a. I select that tiny arrow next to open
b. I select open and repair
c. and it opened

if I do open and repair with the original....no luck....wierd....no it's
microsoft changing word on people every year, why can't they stick with 1
format instead of making everyone convert/change file name/repair their
files.....it's stupid

"Lavanya Halliwell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the .docx document is arriving with a .zip extension, the trick is to
first change the extension to .docx, then open it.

http://word.mvps.org

"Lavanya Halliwell" wrote in
message ...

"Lavanya Halliwell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Docx is effectively a zip file format. Some e-mail systems reportedly change
the extension from docx to zip. As Suzanne indicates, changing the extension
back from zip to docx will enable the document to be opened. This is not a
function of the Word software (and shouldn't occur if you use Outlook as
your e-mail application).