Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
holman holman is offline

Default Locking Shapes to Pictures in Word 2007

Word 2007 problem over previous versions:

I cut and paste a picture into a document (map, aerial, etc. in JPG) then
place arrows, text boxes, lines, highlight marks and other stuff to show what
I want the reader to look at.

If the picture is moved on the page or elsewhere, the various customizations
I make remain in place on the page the picture was inserted.

How do I associate, or lock, the changes/additions to the picture?

In previous versions, the pic could be called up in a separate program,
changed and closed out and the changes to the pic would remain with the pic.
Now, adding shapes from the Insert tab allows them to float away from the
underlying inserted picture, if moved.

If I need to first save the jpg in a separate file, then bring it up in a
software program that allows me to manipulate/add shapes, then save it, then
insert the modified pic . . . its a step back from previous MS Word versions.

Nonplussed in Dallas, Texas

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Locking Shapes to Pictures in Word 2007

Hi there! I understand your frustration with the changes in Word 2007, but I'm happy to help you with locking shapes to pictures.

To lock shapes to a picture in Word 2007, you can use the Group feature. Here are the steps:
  1. Insert your picture into the document by clicking on the Insert tab, then selecting Picture. Choose the picture you want to insert and click Insert.
  2. Add any shapes or other customizations you want to make to the picture.
  3. Select all of the shapes and the picture by clicking and dragging your mouse over them, or by holding down the Ctrl key and clicking on each one.
  4. Right-click on one of the selected items and choose Group from the menu. This will group all of the items together.
  5. Right-click on the grouped items and choose Format Picture.
  6. In the Format Picture dialog box, click on the Layout tab.
  7. Under Wrapping style, choose the option that says "In line with text."
  8. Click OK to close the dialog box.

Now, if you move the picture around on the page, the shapes and other customizations will move with it. They will remain locked to the picture.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NevadaBlue NevadaBlue is offline

Here is how I deal with that:

1. import picture into PowerPoint
2. add shapes, comments, etc.
3. highlight all components you want to be in the image
4. right click
5. select Save as picture
6. Name it, save
7. Import the new picture file into Word

A few steps, but I found that it was easier for me to manage these images in
PowerPoint, rather than deal with "babysitting" them through every change in
MS Word.

"holman" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You need to insert a drawing canvas (bottom of the Insert Shapes tool) which
will hold the elements together. This was similar in Word 2003.

holman wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Maria Maria is offline

Hi,
I have been on vacation and ms OFFICE got upgraded to 2007 and i am really
having troubles!

with regard to locking objects inside a picture, there used to be an icon
with two overlapping mountains picture that allows the user to insert all
drawn shapes in a pic placeholder. it was too handy especially when i wanted
to RESIZE the picture. i can't find this feature anymore. I want to include
all the drawing canvas inside a picture placeholder which can be easily
resized. drawing canvas alone are not enough
ANy help please

holman wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I don't recall an icon with interlocking mountains but from your description
it sounds like you are referring to the Group command. If so, it's in the
Arrange group on both the contextual Picture Tools and contextual Drawing
Tools.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Maria" wrote in message
Hi,
I have been on vacation and ms OFFICE got upgraded to 2007 and i am really
having troubles!

with regard to locking objects inside a picture, there used to be an icon
with two overlapping mountains picture that allows the user to insert all
drawn shapes in a pic placeholder. it was too handy especially when i
wanted
to RESIZE the picture. i can't find this feature anymore. I want to
include
all the drawing canvas inside a picture placeholder which can be easily
resized. drawing canvas alone are not enough
ANy help please

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The overlapping mountains icon is on the Insert Picture button (which
performs the Insert | Picture | From File command). But I agree that it
sounds like Group is the command Maria is looking for.

"Maria" wrote in message
Hi,
I have been on vacation and ms OFFICE got upgraded to 2007 and i am

really
having troubles!

with regard to locking objects inside a picture, there used to be an

icon
with two overlapping mountains picture that allows the user to insert

all
drawn shapes in a pic placeholder. it was too handy especially when i
wanted
to RESIZE the picture. i can't find this feature anymore. I want to
include
all the drawing canvas inside a picture placeholder which can be easily
resized. drawing canvas alone are not enough
ANy help please

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I guess the mountains do overlap a bit, don't they?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The overlapping mountains icon is on the Insert Picture button (which
performs the Insert | Picture | From File command). But I agree that it
sounds like Group is the command Maria is looking for.

so
all may benefit.