Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rebcabin rebcabin is offline

Default I need to type both curly and straight quotes in a document

I have a big document and I must have both curly and straight quotes in it.
I'd like just to type in either a curly or a straight quote when I want it
without having to go through the entire dialog-box clickfest "options /
autocorrect / autoformatWhileYouType" every time I need to switch from one
kind to the other. I tried Alt-Shift-", Ctrl-Shift-", Alt-Ctrl-Shift-", but
none of those seemed to do anything. I tried Alt-0145 (holding down alt the
whole time) but that didn't work. I tried Alt-0145 NOT holding down Alt, and
that just put "0145" in my document. I'm out of guesses. Any clues, anyone?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There are several other approaches.

1. You can press the apostrophe or quote key to get a single or double
quote, then Ctrl+Z to Undo the AutoFormat.

2. You can press Alt+0039 or 0034 to get a straight quote (Alt+0145, 0146,
0147, 0148 give you curly quotes). You must use the numbers on the numeric
keypad, not the number row.

3. If there are more straight quotes than curly quotes in the document, you
can temporarily disable the AutoFormat and use the specific built-in
shortcuts for curly quotes:

Ctrl+', ' for an apostrophe or closing single quote
Ctrl"`, ` for an opening single quote
Ctrl+', " for a closing double quote
Ctrl+`, " for an opening double quote

4. If your reason for wanting straight quotes is for use as foot and inch
marks, instead use U2032 and U2033, assigning them keyboard shortcuts (I use
Ctrl+Shift+F and Ctrl+Shift+I).