Dave

Default section breaks change each time opening document

I'll work on a Document with different Headers and footers put in section
breaks at the end of each page (so my headers and footers don't change) and
save it, then go open it and the section breaks are in the wrong places or
there is added returns at certain places. So I have to do it all over again
and the same thing happens. Not on all documents but many of them.
Daiya Mitchell

Generally it's not a good idea to have section breaks at the end of each
page--this is one of the reasons why--all it takes is one fatter character
for Word to decide the page will no longer break at the same place where you
put the section break. This page explains a little more of the principle,
if not your exact situation.
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/TextReflow.htm

And the reason you give for having section breaks at the end of every page
doesn't make any sense at all, as without section breaks, the headers and
footers will stay the same.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Dave

My 1st page header is different from the next 4, even if I check (different
first page) and if I don't put a Continuous section break there I'll loose my
first page header or I'll loose them all when I put a page break there.
My last page footer is different from the previous 4 and without a section
break I can't make the last one different. It's very frustrating....

On 3/10/05 1:47 PM, "Dave" wrote:

I'll work on a Document with different Headers and footers put in section
breaks at the end of each page (so my headers and footers don't change) and
save it, then go open it and the section breaks are in the wrong places or
there is added returns at certain places. So I have to do it all over again
and the same thing happens. Not on all documents but many of them.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

I think you're still confused. Enabling "Different first page" gives you a
separate First Page Header which appears only on the first page of a
section. The primary Header then appears on pages 2 and following. You *can*
make your last-page footer different as well, but you will need a
conditional field:

{ IF { PAGE } = { NUMPAGES } "Text you want to appear on the last page" }

For more, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm

On 3/10/05 1:47 PM, "Dave" wrote:

I'll work on a Document with different Headers and footers put in

section
breaks at the end of each page (so my headers and footers don't

change) and
save it, then go open it and the section breaks are in the wrong

places or
there is added returns at certain places. So I have to do it all over

again
and the same thing happens. Not on all documents but many of them.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Dave

I am confused. I went back and on the first header I checked first page
different box and went and inserted a page break at the end of each page and
deleted the continuous section breaks I inserted. The first page Header(which
is different from the rest of the pages) didn't change untill I deleted the
4th page section break and now that got rid of all my headers and changed the
first page header to the other page headers. I'm pretty sure I have to insert
a section break somewhere in order to keep my first page header from
changing?? and then do I insert page breaks after each page untill the very
last page where my footer changes and I unclick the (same as previous) and
check from this point forward box.??

On 3/10/05 1:47 PM, "Dave" wrote:

I'll work on a Document with different Headers and footers put in

section
breaks at the end of each page (so my headers and footers don't

change) and
save it, then go open it and the section breaks are in the wrong

places or
there is added returns at certain places. So I have to do it all over

again
and the same thing happens. Not on all documents but many of them.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

You should not need any page breaks at all. Let your document flow
continuously until you want to repeat the first page header or change the
headers entirely; then insert a section break; this will give you something
like this (page numbers are arbitrary):

Page 1: First Page Header
Pages 2-5: Header
===Section Break===
Page 6: First Page Header (can be the same as the one in Section 1 or
different)
Pages 7-10: Header (can be the same or different).

If you want the First Page Header and/or the Header in Section 2 to be
different from the one(s) in Section 1, you need to unlink the sections by
clicking on the "Link to Previous" or "Same as Previous" button on the
Header and Footer toolbar (to turn it off). For the pages after the first in
any section, you can also have different headers for the odd and even pages
if you like. For more, see
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/HeaderFooter.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I think you're still confused. Enabling "Different first page" gives you

separate First Page Header which appears only on the first page of a
section. The primary Header then appears on pages 2 and following. You

*can*
make your last-page footer different as well, but you will need a
conditional field:

{ IF { PAGE } = { NUMPAGES } "Text you want to appear on the last

page" }

For more, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

On 3/10/05 1:47 PM, "Dave" wrote:

I'll work on a Document with different Headers and footers put in

section
breaks at the end of each page (so my headers and footers don't

change) and
save it, then go open it and the section breaks are in the wrong

places or
there is added returns at certain places. So I have to do it all

over
again
and the same thing happens. Not on all documents but many of them.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Stefan Blom

Note that if the headers (footers) of a section should be different
from those of the previous section, the "Same As Previous" option must
be turned off for *each* type of header (and footer) within that
section.

--
Stefan Blom