Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Donna123

Default Prevent mail merge from leaving a space when there is no data.

When using mail merge in Word 2003, where is the setting you can modify to
prevent mail merge from leaving a space when there is no data for a field?
I.e., so mail merge does not leave an extra space between a first and last
name when there is no middle initial when running name tags, etc...
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Fred from NYC

Use an IF condition as documented on this page:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/MMergeIfFields.htm

Donna123 wrote:
When using mail merge in Word 2003, where is the setting you can modify to
prevent mail merge from leaving a space when there is no data for a field?
I.e., so mail merge does not leave an extra space between a first and last
name when there is no middle initial when running name tags, etc...
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Avoid using the AddressBlock field and use the individual fields of the data
file eg

{Mergefield First_Name}{IF{Mergefield Initial} "" " {Mergefield
Initial}"} {Mergefield Last_Name}

Donna123 wrote:
When using mail merge in Word 2003, where is the setting you can
modify to prevent mail merge from leaving a space when there is no
data for a field? I.e., so mail merge does not leave an extra space
between a first and last name when there is no middle initial when
running name tags, etc... Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Donna123

Graham-I do use the individual fields, I.e. FName, MName, LName, etc...I keep
getting blank spaces between FName and LName when there is no data populating
the MName field in a record. Didn't there used to be a simple toggle checkbox
for this option in Word prior to 2003? Sigh...Thank you.

Donna123 wrote:
When using mail merge in Word 2003, where is the setting you can
modify to prevent mail merge from leaving a space when there is no
data for a field? I.e., so mail merge does not leave an extra space
between a first and last name when there is no middle initial when
running name tags, etc... Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

No,

You need to use

{Mergefield First_Name}[no space]{IF{Mergefield Initial} ""
"[space]{Mergefield
Initial}"}[space]{Mergefield Last_Name}

Where you have a space where indicated by [space] and you do not have a
space where the [no space] appears.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Donna123 wrote:
When using mail merge in Word 2003, where is the setting you can
modify to prevent mail merge from leaving a space when there is no
data for a field? I.e., so mail merge does not leave an extra space
between a first and last name when there is no middle initial when
running name tags, etc... Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

In Word 2003 you can try

{ MERGEFIELD First_Name }{ MERGEFIELD Initial \b " " } { MERGEFIELD
Last_Name }

(i.e. there is a space between the 2nd and third fields) or even

{ MERGEFIELD First_Name }{ MERGEFIELD Initial \b " " }{ MERGEFIELD Last_Name
\b " " }

Peter Jamieson