Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AttractiveMT AttractiveMT is offline

Default Changing a rich text document into an .acl document to import/expo

I am having a time with my autocorrect. I use it in my word program for work
as a transcriptionist and I save all my macros or as I call then extensions
in autocorrect. My computer died and I have a new one without like 6,000
plus extensions that I use everyday. I had the autocorrect document backed
up on my desktop but in the wrong format to transfer to the new machine. I
used the autocorrect backup document information supplied to me by Microsoft
to transfer information from the source machine to the destination machine.
this did not work, as the document is in rich text format and not in .acl
format. I was using a documanage system for another company and they made
the autocorrect backup document in RTF to fit their platform thus messing up
my .acl document by making it a RTF. Do you have any suggestions on how I
can get the entries in autocorrect off the desktop machine to my laptop?
This is how I make all my money and I need those 6,000 plus entries on the
laptop to work.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zkid zkid is offline

I think we're a bit confused here. How were the "extensions" created in the
first place? And, do they just appear as lines of text in the backup
document?

"AttractiveMT" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AttractiveMT AttractiveMT is offline

Default Changing a rich text document into an .acl document to import/

The extensions were created by me. I take a word and use only the
constanants, hence extensions. here is an explanation I got when trying to
use the Autocorrect support doc to transfer from the source computer to the
destination. The extensions appear as lines of text in a table of sorts like
an excel-type document.

Public Sub ConvertAutoCorrect4MPW()
Dim anEntry As AutoCorrectEntry
Dim OmitIt As Boolean

'Get a fresh document for the entries
Application.Documents.Add

For Each anEntry In Application.AutoCorrect.Entries
OmitIt = False
If InStr(1, anEntry.Name, " ") Then OmitIt = True
If InStr(1, anEntry.Name, ";") Then OmitIt = True

If InStr(1, anEntry.Name, ")") Then OmitIt = True
If InStr(1, anEntry.Name, ":") Then OmitIt = True
If InStr(1, anEntry.Name, "...") Then OmitIt = True
If InStr(1, anEntry.Name, "") Then OmitIt = True
If InStr(1, anEntry.Name, "") Then OmitIt = True
If Len(anEntry.Value) 63 Then OmitIt = True

'Fashion each in the format MPW4 needs.
If Not OmitIt Then
Selection.TypeText (anEntry.Name & vbTab & "A" & anEntry.Value)
Selection.TypeParagraph
End If
Next anEntry

DoEvents

'Save the file in TEXT ONLY format
On Error Resume Next
Kill "C:\ACorrMPW.tlx": DoEvents
ActiveDocument.SaveAs FileName:="C:\AutoCorrect2MPW.tlx", _
FileFormat:=wdFormatText, AddToRecentFiles:=True
ActiveDocument.Close wdDoNotSaveChanges

End Sub

"AttractiveMT" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The macro that you used to save the entries should be run on the PC to
restore them from the DOC file - see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...utocorrect.htm
Also copy the normal.dot file to your new PC. Autocorrect entries are stored
according to whether they are formatted or not.

AttractiveMT wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zkid zkid is offline

If you can't run the macros, as Graham suggested, is your old computer
completely dead, or can you copy off your old normal template? If you can
copy the old normal template, then you can place it on your new computer and
have access to all of the old entries.