Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CrystalA CrystalA is offline

Default TOC Formatting Trouble

Hello,

I've created a long document in Word 2003. I've applied the TOC Style to it.
The issue is that whenever I open or send the document out the generated TOC
is highlighted in gray. I can't figure out how to get the gray to go away.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you saying that the gray color is printing too?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"CrystalA" u56318@uwe wrote in message news:9f5cc0ced8fc4@uwe...
Hello,

I've created a long document in Word 2003. I've applied the TOC Style to
it.
The issue is that whenever I open or send the document out the generated
TOC
is highlighted in gray. I can't figure out how to get the gray to go away.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's a user setting: Tools | Options | View: Field shading: Always.
There's nothing you can do from your end to affect the way recipients see
the document, but you can change the setting on your computer to "Never" or
"When selected."

http://word.mvps.org

"CrystalA" u56318@uwe wrote in message news:9f5cc0ced8fc4@uwe...
Hello,

I've created a long document in Word 2003. I've applied the TOC Style to
it.
The issue is that whenever I open or send the document out the generated
TOC
is highlighted in gray. I can't figure out how to get the gray to go away.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CrystalA via OfficeKB.com CrystalA via OfficeKB.com is offline

I'll have to look into the settings. When people opened the document the TOC
was shaded gray and all the pages were the same. The user would have to push
F9 i order to update the numbers on the TOC. It was a bit inconvenient.

I ended up unlinking the TOC from the document and saving it as a new copy. I
have the original file saved and I'm going to keep fiddling with some of the
suggestions to see if I can find out anything else.

Thank you for the things to consider and check on.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you sending the document via e-mail? Note that, by default, if people
open the document directly from the e-mail application, it will open in
Reading Layout view (Full Screen Reading in Word 2007), which may prevent
the TOC from updating correctly.

What you can do is ask recipients to turn off the possibility to have
documents open in Reading Layout view, or you can ask them to save the
document to the hard drive before opening it.

The easiest approach may be to create a PDF and send that file; then you
make sure that recipients see the document the way you do.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Formatting trouble Fountain New Users 2 December 11th 08 01:40 PM
trouble with multilevel formatting oompa_l Page Layout 4 September 19th 08 01:38 PM
Trouble with formatting shungo Microsoft Word Help 3 August 22nd 06 06:54 PM
trouble applying formatting styles jen_writer Microsoft Word Help 2 July 26th 06 11:35 PM
Trouble with AutoText formatting!! Help! SELIGMAN MAINE Microsoft Word Help 2 April 4th 06 09:07 PM