Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jodi[_2_] Jodi[_2_] is offline

Default Find a document that I did not save but have automatic save set

I accidently closed a research paper without saving it or naming the paper.
However I do have automatic save set to save ever 10 minutes where can I find
my document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:48:01 -0700, Jodi
wrote:

I accidently closed a research paper without saving it or naming the paper.
However I do have automatic save set to save ever 10 minutes where can I find
my document?

What you think is "automatic save" is nothing of the sort. Word saves
an "AutoRecover" copy only as long as you're actually working on the
file, in case Word crashes and restarts. If you close the document
normally, Word deletes the AutoRecover file.

You might -- with very low probability -- be able to find a temporary
file with some of your text by using the Windows search to look for
any file containing a word or phrase that you remember as being in
your document.

To prevent mistakes like this in the future, (1) ALWAYS press Ctrl+S
every time you stop to think about what to write, or before you walk
away from the keyboard, and (2) use a backup macro like the one in
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm. Or get (currently free
beta) Word 2010, which finally does save a copy of any unsaved
document when you close.

To repeat: NEVER work for more than about 10 minutes without saving
the document!

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As Jay says, there is no "automatic save" in Word; see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm for further explanation
of Save Options.

http://word.mvps.org