Lisa

Default How can one set up the Automatic Sequence Number under Fields?

I am looking to have word automatically set up a numbering system that starts
from 001, then goes to 002, 003, and so one. How can you set up a starting
number that is not 1. I went under "Insert" "Field" and was trying to use
"SEQ" and it asked for "automatic sequence number" and I am not sure how to
code it.
Please Advise.
--
Lisa
Herb Tyson [MVP]

The basic syntax for a seq field is:

{seq name }

where "name" can be whatever you want to call it. You can have multiple
indepent seq series in a document, e.g., one for table numbers, another for
figure numbers, etc. So, if you were using it to number tables, for example,
you might name it tableno, but, you could just as easily name it Lisa.

So:

{seq lisa}
{seq lisa}
{seq lisa}
{seq lisa}

would display as:

1
2
3
4

If you need the leading zeros, then add a numeric picture switch, like so:

{seq lisa \# 00#}

To start a list at a number other than 1, use the \r switch:

{ seq lisa \# 00# \r78}

So, the following fields:

{ seq lisa \# 00# \r78}
{ seq lisa \# 00#}
{ seq lisa \# 00#}
{ seq lisa \# 00#}
{ seq lisa \# 00#}

(after you select them and press F9 to update them), would display as:

078
079
080
081
082

To manually insert a field code, press Ctrl+F9 to insert the field braces
({}), then type the field code between the braces, and press F9 when you're
ready to display field results.

Hope this is clearer than mud...

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP