Michael

Default Problem using Insert/Symbol: not all of my fonts show

I've installed a new font to print Romanised Pali and Sanskrit characters in
Word 2000 using XP. The fonts show up fine in the Word document, but when I
go to "Insert", "Symbol" to make shortcuts to special characters they don't
show onthe drop down menu. In fact, that drop-down shows a limited set of
fonts. All my fonts, including the new ones, show up on Character Map and
they're all listed in the Windows/Fonts folder.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?
--
Michael
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 18 May 2005 03:45:11 -0700, "Michael"
wrote:

I've installed a new font to print Romanised Pali and Sanskrit characters in
Word 2000 using XP. The fonts show up fine in the Word document, but when I
go to "Insert", "Symbol" to make shortcuts to special characters they don't
show onthe drop down menu. In fact, that drop-down shows a limited set of
fonts. All my fonts, including the new ones, show up on Character Map and
they're all listed in the Windows/Fonts folder.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Is it just the Symbol dialog, or do you also see a limited list in the
Fonts dropdown on the formatting toolbar? If the latter, choose a
TrueType-capable printer -- see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NoFonts.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Michael

Thanks Jay. No, I'm afraid it's not the printer issue. Interestingly, I see a
fuller list of fonts in the Word 2000 fonts drop down formatting bar than I
do under Insert/Symbol and a still fuller list using the same drop-down in
the Works Spreadsheet.

A mystery. And a frustrating one. Any help would be much appreciated.
--
Michael

wrote:

I've installed a new font to print Romanised Pali and Sanskrit characters in
Word 2000 using XP. The fonts show up fine in the Word document, but when I
go to "Insert", "Symbol" to make shortcuts to special characters they don't
show onthe drop down menu. In fact, that drop-down shows a limited set of
fonts. All my fonts, including the new ones, show up on Character Map and
they're all listed in the Windows/Fonts folder.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Is it just the Symbol dialog, or do you also see a limited list in the
Fonts dropdown on the formatting toolbar? If the latter, choose a
TrueType-capable printer -- see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NoFonts.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

I'm not sure where Word 2000 stands in this progression but "earlier"
versions of Word listed only "symbol" fonts in the Symbol dialog, whereas
"more recent" versions list every installed font. Even in the "earlier"
versions, however, you can type the font name into the font box in the
Symbol dialog, and the font will be displayed (though not always very well).