Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Soccerman58

Default Need a numbered procedure to update in another place in doc

Hi
I have a list of numbered procedures. Suppose the list is 1 through 10.
Number 8 needs to be cross-referenced to a table at the end of the doc in
such a way that if I change number 8 to number 20, the entry in the table
needs to reflect this change and become 20 too. Now I don't want the TEXT to
copy or update, I just want the NUMBER to change.
One of our guys has been doing it by assigning the number with a Heading
format and then applying a cross reference between the numbered list and the
numbered table entry, and it works, but this is forcing the "heading" to
appear in the TOC and I don't want it to.

I'm wondering if instead of a numbered list and a table, two tables would
work. Then I can number the list by using a cell heading and cross reference
the cell heading of the item in what used to be the numbered list to the cell
heading of the table at the back of the doc. If they are cell headings, they
won't show up in the TOC.

I thought about an autofill form, but I don't think that's the right answer.

Any smart ideas please?
Thanks
Phil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Margaret Aldis

You may be able to use the document as it is (assuming the list has been
numbered using an otherwise unused heading style) simply by changing the TOC
so that it is based on styles (not levels) and doesn't include the style
used for the list numbering.

Otherwise, set up a new paragraph style for the numbered list items, and
when you come to cross reference select "numbered item" rather than
"headings" category.

There are a number of tricks with setting up numbering, so you might want to
look at:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html and
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Number...artMethods.htm

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Soccerman58" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Soccerman58

Hi
I restricted heading 1 and Heading 2 to the TOC and I used Heading 3 for the
numbers for each test in the list. Then in the Appendix I cross-referenced
back to the heading 3s. It works, but the problem is that if I make a change,
like I insert a section into the procedures, the cross-references don't
update, even after I close the file and reopen it again. Can I force it to
update itself like I can regenerate Framemaker docs?

The TOC formatting is all over the place (as usual). I tried doing the
manual insertions, and that looks nice, but again, it isn't updating even
after I close the doc.
Thanks
Phil