Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mad dog

Default Tech_Tav Cross Referencing

Hello all:

Tech Tav macros look promising for cross-doc referencing. No problems
with TOC generation, but I am having troubles with specific cross
references. Unlike the equivalent functional selection dialog in Word,
the Tech Tav dialog (XR text) presents available headers in a given
document as a flat file -- no distinctions as to header level. It
appears to be alphabetized only. I suppose that's because the macro
considers each header as a bookmark.

With several hundred headers possible in a source document, including
many duplications distinguished only by header level/number, finding
the right one to select will be difficult. I'm testing this right now,
wondering if I'll really be able to use such a system.

Am I doing something wrong. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

Michael D.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Header? Heading?
It makes a difference.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"mad dog" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mad dog

Charles:
Thank you for replying. Sorry for the confusion. I meant "headings".
Tech-Tav appears to cross reference (XR Text) between docs by way of
bookmarks. You can create bookmarks directly. The Tech-Tav macros
apparently assign hidden bookmarks to Words heading styles 1-9 as well.
It is that mix of headings/bookmarks which appears as a list in the
dialog window for choosing the cross reference destination.

My issue is with the usability of that list.

Michael D.