Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Leonardo Soto

Default Merge Field Formatting

Hi:

I've been trying to find a solution to custom formatting...

Say I have a merge field called SIGNATURE

This information is stored from in a database and the users want the ability
to format their signature like in HTML... say:

BLeonardo Soto/B
IProject Director/I

How can I pour that information into the SIGNATURE with the Formatting info
included.

Its this possible?

Thanks in advance

Leonardo Soto

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

You either have to merge to an output document and run some code to find all
the codes and apply the appropriate formatting, or do the same using VBA and
Word's MailMerge events. To do it purely using fields you need
a. to use the HTML formatting tags
b. to keep the data outside the database
c. to keep the link information in the database, e.g. have a field called
siglink containing "c:\\mysigs\\sig1.htm" etc
d. to use a nested field

{ INCLUDETEXT "{ MERGEFIELD siglink}" }

e. to accept that invalid tags may cause problems.

Peter Jamieson