Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RM

Default Want to start page 1 numbering after five pages - how?

I have a cover page, then a blank page, then a table of contents, and other
blank page, the fourth page begins the text that I want to start numbering
with page one. The Insert Section instructions don't seem to be working
properly. I would appreciate some tips. Thanks. R.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman

If you have inserted a Next Page section break to start the fourth page
(note that your description doesn't match the subject line), take the
following steps:

- With the cursor on the fourth page, open the header (View Header and
Footer), so the Header/Footer toolbar appears.

- On the toolbar, click the Same As Previous button to turn it off (notice
that the words "Same As Previous" disappear from the upper right corner of
the header area).

- On the toolbar, click the Format Page Number button. In the dialog that
appears, click the Start At option button. The number 1 appears in the box
to its right, which is what you want. Click OK.

- On the toolbar, click the Page Number button to insert the page number
field. Because this section's header is no longer Same As Previous, the page
number will appear only in the section that starts on the fourth page, and
it will start numbering at 1 because of the Format Page Number setting.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

RM wrote:
I have a cover page, then a blank page, then a table of contents, and
other blank page, the fourth page begins the text that I want to
start numbering with page one. The Insert Section instructions don't
seem to be working properly. I would appreciate some tips. Thanks. R.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RM

After working on this for several hours I found the 'trick'. The 'trick' is
to insert a section break for each of the first four pages. On the fifth
page, I opened up header/footer and the footer that was then identified as
'section 5 page footer' where I inserted the page numbers begining with page
1. Now what that did to the previous pages, was cause them to be numbered
1-4. So I had to go into each section's footer and select 'Do not print page
number on first page' - since each section was only one page, that forced the
page numbers to be suppressed on 1-4. See what a pain? But now I've learned
- I do appreciate your input. It's nice to know that there is help out
there. Thanks again.

RM wrote:
I have a cover page, then a blank page, then a table of contents, and
other blank page, the fourth page begins the text that I want to
start numbering with page one. The Insert Section instructions don't
seem to be working properly. I would appreciate some tips. Thanks. R.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman

I'm sorry to tell you that all that pain was unnecessary. All you need is
*one* section break, and to restart page numbering at 1 in the second
section. As long as there's no page-number field in the footer of the first
section, it doesn't matter what their page numbers really are.

Also, a tip: don't use the Insert Page Number command in the menu; it's a
cockup. Instead, use the Page Number button on the Header/Footer toolbar.
The article at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...lyindented.htm explains what
kind of trouble the menu item can cause.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.

RM wrote:
I have a cover page, then a blank page, then a table of contents,
and other blank page, the fourth page begins the text that I want to
start numbering with page one. The Insert Section instructions
don't seem to be working properly. I would appreciate some tips.
Thanks. R.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RM

I could not delete the page number fields in pages 1-4. When I did so, it
deleted the page numbers throughout the entire document. That's why I
created a section for each page and then told the page numbering to not
display on the first page. I will create a test document and test your
suggestion - I've been working on a document that was created by someone else
so maybe there's something in the document that is screwing this up.
Question: If I do not use the 'Insert, Page No...' from the menu, I do not
see the option of 'Not printing page numbers on the first page' - how do I
get that option to appear in the page number properties?
Thanks again.

RM wrote:
I have a cover page, then a blank page, then a table of contents,
and other blank page, the fourth page begins the text that I want to
start numbering with page one. The Insert Section instructions
don't seem to be working properly. I would appreciate some tips.
Thanks. R.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman

The "whole document" thing is caused by not turning off the "Same As
Previous" linkage from one section to the next. When that's turned
off, you don't need the "no page number on first page" -- you just
don't put a page number in the footer for the first section.

If you still want to use "no page number on first page", something
like it is in the File Page Setup dialog, on the Layout tab, labeled
"Different first page". You could put something different in that
first-page footer, or you could leave it empty.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

RM wrote:
I have a cover page, then a blank page, then a table of contents,
and other blank page, the fourth page begins the text that I want to
start numbering with page one. The Insert Section instructions
don't seem to be working properly. I would appreciate some tips.
Thanks. R.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm. Avoid the use of Insert
| Page Numbers; instead, use the Insert Page Number button on the Header and
Footer toolbar.

"RM" wrote in message
I have a cover page, then a blank page, then a table of contents, and

other
blank page, the fourth page begins the text that I want to start numbering
with page one. The Insert Section instructions don't seem to be working
properly. I would appreciate some tips. Thanks. R.

How do I start page numbering on the third page in Word 2003? Michelle Microsoft Word Help 3 March 13th 06 01:10 AM
adding pages MoJR Microsoft Word Help 23 February 28th 06 05:51 PM
page number positioning and format tinaa Page Layout 3 February 4th 06 01:38 AM
Section break formatting Hesham Ghaleb Page Layout 6 January 20th 06 06:04 PM
Page Numbering - Insertion Pages Greg Pearson Microsoft Word Help 4 February 14th 05 06:53 PM