Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Randy Randy is offline

Default Creating Columns

Hello,

I would like to create a two column document but the column on the left I
would like to type in text having Word use its default settings with word
wrap but when it gets to the bottom of the page / column I would like to have
a hard stop. In the second column or the right side of the page I would like
to insert a table with two columns and 40+ rows. Not sure if this can be done
or if I am not using columns for the proper purpose. Can someone assist me
with what I am looking to do?

Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Instead of using columns ,you could use a three-column table with the
leftmost column the width of the text column, and the second and third
columns the way you want your table to be. You can Merge all the cells
in the left column if you want it to look just like a column of text.
(You can also put ruled cell boundaries on the ones to the right if
you want it to look like a table.)

On Oct 10, 10:30 pm, Randy wrote:
Hello,

I would like to create a two column document but the column on the left I
would like to type in text having Word use its default settings with word
wrap but when it gets to the bottom of the page / column I would like to have
a hard stop. In the second column or the right side of the page I would like
to insert a table with two columns and 40+ rows. Not sure if this can be done
or if I am not using columns for the proper purpose. Can someone assist me
with what I am looking to do?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Randy Randy is offline

Thanks. That worked too. I do have a follow up question if you can help?

So I created a three-column table, making the left most or first column the
width of what I need for text. Now I have used the 'Table Properties' to set
a fixed length cell so I can only type in 'x' amount of characters but how do
I disable word wrap in a cell? I only want to be able to type in 'X' amount
of characters but when I type in 'x' + 1 the text gets wrapped to a second
line and I don't want this to happen. I don't think this can be done in Word,
but can be done in Excel but I thought I would ask.

Thanks again.

On Oct 10, 10:30 pm, Randy wrote:
Hello,

I would like to create a two column document but the column on the left I
would like to type in text having Word use its default settings with word
wrap but when it gets to the bottom of the page / column I would like to have
a hard stop. In the second column or the right side of the page I would like
to insert a table with two columns and 40+ rows. Not sure if this can be done
or if I am not using columns for the proper purpose. Can someone assist me
with what I am looking to do?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

No, Word doesn't have a way to stop you from typing more into a cell than will
fit. The rest just disappears below the bottom of the cell. But it's still
there, and can be recovered if the cell is resized, or if a macro retrieves its
contents.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman