Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Julian

Default New UI - Need for Bridge

Office 2007 has great potential but is, is think, way too far ahead of 95%+
of users. I believe a much better way is needed to bridge the planned
interface to the one that past users know. I suggest, as much, as this can be
done, an almost always there one-link connection to an Office XP-2003 menu
facsimile.
Ciao,
Julian

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Julian,

Be sure to use the 2007 feedback tool from the link below to send your feedback and suggestions directly to the MS Office 2007
product team.

You may also want to visit the User Interface Team blog for Office 2007 at http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh for some background on the
decisions they've reached on the new UI (you can also add comments to the team through their blog).

For now, the 'compromise' is that there is no legacy/classic interface in the core ribboned apps (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), but the
existing (2000, 2002, 2003) keyboard shortcuts should work for you in the Word 2007.

===========
--
I hope this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office system products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

LINKS for the 2007 Office System

1. Read about it, try it, or watch the movie
the 2007 Microsoft Office system iinfo is at
http://microsoft.com/office/preview

2. Already have 2007 Office System Beta 2?
Send Microsoft your feedback (with pictures)
http://sas.office.microsoft.com/

3. Use the 2007 OfficeOnline website without Office2007

a. Install the ActiveX access control
http://office.microsoft.com/search/r...XT101650581033
b. then visit http://officebeta.iponet.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Julian

To expand a bit, I recall a decade or so ago how well Microsoft built helpful
migration paths for new users of WordPerfect and Lotus 1-2-3. When you
installed what are now "legacy" Microsoft products, you were offered options
that gave immediate help in making the switch from older applications. The
Word 1997 help function even had an optional selection entitled "WordPerfect
Help".

I believe the Office 2007 UI paradigm entails behavioural change similar in
extent and magnitude to those facing earlier users of Office applications. I
threfore see headaches for corporate IT departments unless Microsoft can find
easier ways for users. Despite my concerns (and personal frustrations at
times), I think the new UI is a good one and worth persevering with.

Ciao,

Julian

"Julian" wrote:

Office 2007 has great potential but is, is think, way too far ahead of 95%+
of users. I believe a much better way is needed to bridge the planned
interface to the one that past users know. I suggest, as much, as this can be
done, an almost always there one-link connection to an Office XP-2003 menu
facsimile.
Ciao,
Julian

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Some documents are being prepared. One is already available that tells where
to find all the legacy commands in the new UI.

news

"Julian" wrote:

Office 2007 has great potential but is, is think, way too far ahead of

95%+
of users. I believe a much better way is needed to bridge the planned
interface to the one that past users know. I suggest, as much, as this

can be
done, an almost always there one-link connection to an Office XP-2003

menu
facsimile.
Ciao,
Julian

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the

"I

this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then