Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tadoslav tadoslav is offline

Default suppress space before paragraph at top of page

I'm using MS Word 2007.

When defining the paragraph features for a heading in a dissertation I set
the space before the paragraph to, for example, 24 pt so that I have the
required spacing per our school's style manual. However, when the heading
appears at the top of a page, there should be no spacing between the top
margin and the header. It would be very helpful to have a setting that
allows the user to suppress the spacing before a paragraph when the paragraph
(in this case a header) appears at the top of a page.

This is an important feature because if it doesn't exist, then the user must
go through the document page by page (or heading by heading) to find headings
that appear at the top of the page and change the formatting to eliminate the
space. That, of course, divorces it from the predefined style which means if
the document changes (i.e. the heading is no longer at the top of the page)
then you have to go through the document once again to change it back and
also change other headers that may now appear at the top of the page. You
can imagine this might be a painful process for long documents
(dissertations) that undergo several revisions.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Space Before is suppressed at the top of a page by default except after
manual page and column breaks (and even this can be changed with a
Compatibility Option). It is never suppressed after a section break.

http://word.mvps.org