hanajack hanajack is offline
Junior Member

Default One page [only] Word restriction

Trying to make my ribbon more useable for me, I somehow have limited any new Word document to one page only and can not find a way to get it back to normal. Help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Usually, a new, blank document is only one page long. Pages are added as you
add content that doesn't fit on the first page. You will have to explain
more in detail what happens... What are the exact symptoms?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hanajack" skrev i meddelandet

Trying to make my ribbon more useable for me, I somehow have limited any
new Word document to one page only and can not find a way to get it back
to normal. Help?

--
hanajack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thinking about it, the document could be in Web Layout or Draft view. Change
it back to Print Layout view on the View tab of the ribbon.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" skrev i meddelandet
Thinking about it, if you mean that it looks like a single page, the

"Stefan Blom" skrev i meddelandet
Usually, a new, blank document is only one page long. Pages are added as
you add content that doesn't fit on the first page. You will have to
explain more in detail what happens... What are the exact symptoms?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hanajack" skrev i meddelandet

Trying to make my ribbon more useable for me, I somehow have limited any
new Word document to one page only and can not find a way to get it back
to normal. Help?

--
hanajack

hanajack hanajack is offline
Junior Member

Under 'View', print layout is highlighted in orange.

I was trying to make the ribbon more useful for my applications; i.e. under ‘Home’ don’t need, use or want all that space given to Styles; but would like rows and columns, page setup, etc.
In any event Word is all messed up now. No styles on Home but also no cut, copy or paste.
Also, the right margin goes into a no response dead zone regardless of margin setting.
Examples of the one page only condition: if typing, at the end of that page the second page will not come up; or, copying a two page document and pasting it to a blank Word document, it will paste only the first page, but; if a section of that paste is deleted or space on that first page can be gained, then part of that un-pasted second page will appear on the bottom of the ‘first’ page.
Hope that helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you pasting Word documents, or pdf's or some other file type?

Are you saying that the Ribbon no longer appears as it did out-of-the-
box? Have you imported someone else's template in which the Ribbon
might have been deliberately changed? Or do you simply mean the QAT?

Not clear what the right margin comment refers to.

On May 30, 10:24*pm, hanajack wrote:
[...]

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:

;494393']Thinking about it, the document could be in Web Layout or Draft
view. Change
it back to Print Layout view on the View tab of the ribbon.

"Stefan Blom" skrev i meddelandet
...-
Thinking about it, if you mean that it looks like a single page, the

"Stefan Blom" skrev i meddelandet

...-
Usually, a new, blank document is only one page long. Pages are added
as
you add content that doesn't fit on the first page. You will have to
explain more in detail what happens... What are the exact symptoms?

"hanajack" skrev i meddelandet
...-

Trying to make my ribbon more useable for me, I somehow have limited
any
new Word document to one page only and can not find a way to get it
back
to normal. Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How did you modify the ribbon? With Word's built-in user interface (which
requires Word 2010 or later)? Or did you use some third-party software?

Or (the simplest scenario) if the ribbon has just been minimized, so that
you only see "File," "Home," "Insert," etc. but not the commands. To fix
that, right-click the ribbon you can click to deselect the Minimize the
Ribbon option.

To fix the problem that prevents you from starting a new page, try the
following: On the Page Layout tab, click Columns | More Columns. Under
"Presets," click the "One" option, even if it already appears to be
selected. Make sure that "Apply to" reads "Whole document." Click OK. Does
that make a difference?

If you are seeing the problem not only with specific documents but also when
you create new ones, you have to open the Normal template as a document and
repeat the procedure described above. Save and close Normal, when you are
done.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;494393']Thinking about it, the document could be in Web Layout or Draft
view. Change
it back to Print Layout view on the View tab of the ribbon.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" skrev i meddelandet
...-
Thinking about it, if you mean that it looks like a single page, the

"Stefan Blom"
skrev i meddelandet

...-
Usually, a new, blank document is only one page long. Pages are added
as
you add content that doesn't fit on the first page. You will have to
explain more in detail what happens... What are the exact symptoms?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hanajack"
skrev i meddelandet
...-

Trying to make my ribbon more useable for me, I somehow have limited
any
new Word document to one page only and can not find a way to get it
back
to normal. Help?

--
hanajack-

hanajack

hanajack hanajack is offline
Junior Member

How did you modify the ribbon?

Majority of changes to Word, causing current problems, were done via File/Options/Customize ribbon/Add-Delete.

Will follow/try your advise below. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;494393']Thinking about it, the document could be in Web Layout or Draft
view. Change
it back to Print Layout view on the View tab of the ribbon.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom"
skrev i meddelandet
...-
Thinking about it, if you mean that it looks like a single page, the

"Stefan Blom"
skrev i meddelandet

...-
Usually, a new, blank document is only one page long. Pages are added
as
you add content that doesn't fit on the first page. You will have to
explain more in detail what happens... What are the exact symptoms?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hanajack"
skrev i meddelandet
...-

Trying to make my ribbon more useable for me, I somehow have limited
any
new Word document to one page only and can not find a way to get it
back
to normal. Help?

--
hanajack-

hanajack
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have to admit I'm not sure where ribbon customizations are stored. :-(
You could try renaming the Normal template (with Word closed), and see if
that restores the built-in ribbon.

Please post back with the results of your testing.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hanajack" wrote in message

How did you modify the ribbon?

Majority of changes to Word, causing current problems, were done via
File/Options/Customize ribbon/Add-Delete.

Will follow/try your advise below. I appreciate it.

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;494405']How did you modify the ribbon? With Word's built-in user
[...]

...-

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:-
;494393']Thinking about it, the document could be in Web Layout or
Draft
view. Change
it back to Print Layout view on the View tab of the ribbon.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom"
skrev i meddelandet
...-
Thinking about it, if you mean that it looks like a single page, the

"Stefan Blom"
skrev i meddelandet

...-
Usually, a new, blank document is only one page long. Pages are added
as
you add content that doesn't fit on the first page. You will have to
explain more in detail what happens... What are the exact symptoms?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hanajack"
skrev i meddelandet
...-

Trying to make my ribbon more useable for me, I somehow have limited
any
new Word document to one page only and can not find a way to get it
back
to normal. Help?

--
hanajack-
---

--
hanajack -

--
hanajack

hanajack hanajack is offline
Junior Member

It appears that following your guidance, I am now able to get the normal multiple pages on Word. Mahalo Nui!

Since the ‘Home’ ribbon has changed so much, if memory serves me correctly, it is missing the left-most Cut, Copy and Paste [as with Excel]; but, can’t be certain because it is not there on any old Word document I bring up. Should it be there or not? If it should, how to get it back?

How does one rename the Normal template?

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
[...]

...-

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:-
;494393']Thinking about it, the document could be in Web Layout or
Draft
view. Change
it back to Print Layout view on the View tab of the ribbon.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom"
skrev i meddelandet
...-
Thinking about it, if you mean that it looks like a single page, the

"Stefan Blom"
skrev i meddelandet

...-
Usually, a new, blank document is only one page long. Pages are added
as
you add content that doesn't fit on the first page. You will have to
explain more in detail what happens... What are the exact symptoms?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hanajack"
skrev i meddelandet
...-

Trying to make my ribbon more useable for me, I somehow have limited
any
new Word document to one page only and can not find a way to get it
back
to normal. Help?

--
hanajack-
---

--
hanajack -

--
hanajack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 2007, the left-most group on the Home tab is called Clipboard and it
contains items Paste, Cut, Copy, and Format Painter (if that helps...).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hanajack" wrote in message

It appears that following your guidance, I am now able to get the normal
multiple pages on Word. Mahalo Nui!

Since the ‘Home’ ribbon has changed so much, if memory serves me
correctly, it is missing the left-most Cut, Copy and Paste [as with
Excel]; but, can’t be certain because it is not there on any old Word
document I bring up. Should it be there or not? If it should, how to
get it back?

How does one rename the Normal template?

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;494407']I have to admit I'm not sure where ribbon customizations are
stored. :-(
You could try renaming the Normal template (with Word closed), and see
if
that restores the built-in ribbon.

Please post back with the results of your testing.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

...-

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:-
[...]

...-

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:-
;494393']Thinking about it, the document could be in Web Layout or
Draft
view. Change
it back to Print Layout view on the View tab of the ribbon.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom"
skrev i meddelandet
...-
Thinking about it, if you mean that it looks like a single page, the

"Stefan Blom"
skrev i meddelandet

...-
Usually, a new, blank document is only one page long. Pages are added
as
you add content that doesn't fit on the first page. You will have to
explain more in detail what happens... What are the exact symptoms?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hanajack"
skrev i meddelandet
...-

Trying to make my ribbon more useable for me, I somehow have limited
any
new Word document to one page only and can not find a way to get it
back
to normal. Help?

--
hanajack-
---

--
hanajack --

--
hanajack -

--
hanajack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sorry, I meant to write Word 2010! (I haven't used Word 2007 in a while so I
don't remember if there were any changes between 2007 and 2010.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;494407']I have to admit I'm not sure where ribbon customizations are
stored. :-(
You could try renaming the Normal template (with Word closed), and see
if
that restores the built-in ribbon.

Please post back with the results of your testing.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

...-

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:-
[...]

...-

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:-
;494393']Thinking about it, the document could be in Web Layout or
Draft
view. Change
it back to Print Layout view on the View tab of the ribbon.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom"
skrev i meddelandet
...-
Thinking about it, if you mean that it looks like a single page, the

"Stefan Blom"
skrev i meddelandet

...-
Usually, a new, blank document is only one page long. Pages are added
as
you add content that doesn't fit on the first page. You will have to
explain more in detail what happens... What are the exact symptoms?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hanajack"
skrev i meddelandet
...-

Trying to make my ribbon more useable for me, I somehow have limited
any
new Word document to one page only and can not find a way to get it
back
to normal. Help?

--
hanajack-
---

--
hanajack --

--
hanajack -

--
hanajack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes -- it's the same in 2007.

I now know of _two_ improved features in 2010 that, had I known of
them at the time, would probably have led me to upgrade: provision for
different handling of bibliographic references in footnotes, and
automatic insertion of ligatures for fi , fl, etc.

I wonder what else they never bothered to mention, and what might have
been improved in 2013.

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:-
[...]

...-

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:-
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I know very little of Word 2013, which I haven't used yet, but a number of
layout improvements have been made, according to the following KB article:

Changes in content layout between Word 2013 and earlier versions of Word
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2740483/en-us/

On the other hand, the click-to-run installations (which seem to be the
default for most end-user licenses??) appear to be flawed, based on the
reports seen in the Microsoft Community.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:-
[...]

...-

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:-
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks. Just about everything listed there would be disastrous.
(Especially the footnotes/columns thing.)

wrote:
Sorry, I meant to write Word 2010! (I haven't used Word 2007 in a while
so I
don't remember if there were any changes between 2007 and 2010.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message

In Word 2007, the left-most group on the Home tab is called Clipboard
and
it contains items Paste, Cut, Copy, and Format Painter (if that
helps...).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I rarely use columns so I had to test what happens in Word 2010-and it
puts the footnote text below the column containing the footnote reference.
To me, both possibilities make sense, and I don't know what is "typesetting
standard" (assuming there is one).

The fact that you can choose the number of columns used for footnotes (see
http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-...-new-word.aspx)
is clearly an improvement, in my mind.

I have heard from others that the compatibility options are fewer in Word
2013, unless you save in an older file format that is. In other words, we
are not given the same level of control over the layout, which I consider to
be a disadvantage.

--

wrote:
Sorry, I meant to write Word 2010! (I haven't used Word 2007 in a
while
so I
don't remember if there were any changes between 2007 and 2010.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message

In Word 2007, the left-most group on the Home tab is called
Clipboard
and
it contains items Paste, Cut, Copy, and Format Painter (if that
helps...).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What you describe is "typesetting standard"; why, then, does it say it
puts all footnotes under the leftmost column? (I recently came across
some journal articles that did it that way in the 1960s, but it's
pretty confusing.)

You mean, you can have two columns of footnotes under one broad column
of text, which was a common way of doing it in the first half of the
20th century? I asked for that here many years ago -- even FrameMaker
couldn't do that (and neither could InDesign, at least as late as CS5;
I see CS6 is out now).

The illustration there shows 2 cols. with 1 col. of footnotes. That
just seems perverse.

The fact that you can choose the number of columns used for footnotes (seehttp://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-word/archive/2012/08/21/layout-in...)

wrote:
Sorry, I meant to write Word 2010! (I haven't used Word 2007 in a
while
so I
don't remember if there were any changes between 2007 and 2010.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message

In Word 2007, the left-most group on the Home tab is called
Clipboard
and
it contains items Paste, Cut, Copy, and Format Painter (if that
helps...).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I believe the notes *start* below the left-most column; Word then goes on to
fill the space below the following columns. Still, it seems strange to me,
and I don't know why that decision was made.

Some users do want to "put several footnotes in the same line of text" and I
guess columnar footnotes is a way to accomplish something similar, even if
the main body is one column.