Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TheDr TheDr is offline

Default how do i set the large doc to open at the spot I last worked on?

I work with very large documents, and find it cumbersome to search for the
spot I was working on when I last closed the document. Older versions of
Office products did this automatically...... or was that word perfect?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you are using Word 2003 or earlier, you can press Shift+F5 to return to
the last edit point. Unfortunately, this doesn't work in Word 2007. Word has
never automatically opened at the last edit point. It may well be that
WordPerfect does, or you might be thinking of Excel, which also does.

"TheDr" wrote in message
I work with very large documents, and find it cumbersome to search for the
spot I was working on when I last closed the document. Older versions of
Office products did this automatically...... or was that word perfect?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TheDr TheDr is offline

Default how do i set the large doc to open at the spot I last worked o

Unfortunately I am using Word 2007 and Vista (Let's not start that
discussion)- and youre right it doesnt work, but thank you for the tip; it
seems to work on documents sent to me by others using Word 2003. I am
grateful for your time.

Big Hug,
Richard

"TheDr" wrote in message
I work with very large documents, and find it cumbersome to search for the
spot I was working on when I last closed the document. Older versions of
Office products did this automatically...... or was that word perfect?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That is correct. I works in Word 2007 for .doc format documents, but not for
the new .docx format.

It is possible to accomplish the objective in Word 2007 by using a
combination of AutoClose and AutoOpen macros. The AutoClose macro would save
the last location when the document is closed, and the AutoOpen macro would
retrieve the last location when the document is opened. I'd be surprised if
someone doesn't have just such macros already written. If they don't
volunteer them here, you might ask for guidance in one of the word.vba
newsgroups.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"TheDr" wrote in message
I work with very large documents, and find it cumbersome to search for
the
spot I was working on when I last closed the document. Older versions
of
Office products did this automatically...... or was that word perfect?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Herb,

I am using this setup right now:

I have a Class module (MyClass1)with this code:

Option Explicit
Private WithEvents mThisWordApp As Word.Application
Private Sub Class_Initialize()
Set mThisWordApp = Word.Application
End Sub
Private Sub mThisWordApp_DocumentBeforeSave(ByVal Doc As Document, SaveAsUI
As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
Selecting.QuickSaveMark
End Sub

I have code in the Normal Project that initiates the Class when my Word
application is launched:

Option Explicit
Private oMyClass As MyClass

Sub AutoExec()
SetMyClass
End Sub

Sub SetMyClass()
Set oMyClass = New MyClass
End Sub

I have these procedures in a standard module of my Normal Project named
"Selecting"

Sub QuickSaveMark()
Dim i As Long
Dim oBMs As Bookmarks
On Error GoTo Err_Handler
Set oBMs = ActiveDocument.Bookmarks
On Error GoTo 0
If Not oBMs.Exists("QuickSaveMark_1") Then
oBMs.Add "QuickSaveMark_1", Selection.Range
Else
On Error Resume Next
oBMs.Add "QuickSaveMark_5", oBMs("QuickSaveMark_4").Range
oBMs.Add "QuickSaveMark_4", oBMs("QuickSaveMark_3").Range
oBMs.Add "QuickSaveMark_3", oBMs("QuickSaveMark_2").Range
oBMs.Add "QuickSaveMark_2", oBMs("QuickSaveMark_1").Range
oBMs.Add "QuickSaveMark_1", Selection.Range
On Error GoTo 0
End If
ActiveDocument.Variables("QMIndex").Value = "0"
Exit Sub
Err_Handler:
End Sub
Sub GoToQM()
Dim oVars As Variables
Dim pGetValue As String
Dim i As Long
Set oVars = ActiveDocument.Variables
On Error GoTo Err_Handler_1
pGetValue = oVars("QMIndex").Value
On Error GoTo 0
i = CLng(pGetValue)
i = i + 1
On Error GoTo Err_Handler_2
Select Case i
Case Is = 1
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("QuickSaveMark_1").Range. Select
oVars("QMIndex").Value = "1"
Case Is = 2
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("QuickSaveMark_2").Range. Select
oVars("QMIndex").Value = "2"
Case Is = 3
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("QuickSaveMark_3").Range. Select
oVars("QMIndex").Value = "3"
Case Is = 4
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("QuickSaveMark_4").Range. Select
oVars("QMIndex").Value = "4"
Case Is = 5
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("QuickSaveMark_5").Range. Select
oVars("QMIndex").Value = "0"
End Select
On Error GoTo 0
Exit Sub
Err_Handler_1:
oVars("QMIndex").Value = "0"
Resume
Err_Handler_2:
If ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Exists("QuickSaveMark_1") Then
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("QuickSaveMark_1").Range. Select
Else
MsgBox "A QuickSaveMark reference is not set in this document."
End If
End Sub
Sub ClearQMs()
On Error Resume Next
With ActiveDocument
.Variables("QMIndex").Delete
.Bookmarks("QuickSaveMark_5").Delete
.Bookmarks("QuickSaveMark_4").Delete
.Bookmarks("QuickSaveMark_3").Delete
.Bookmarks("QuickSaveMark_2").Delete
.Bookmarks("QuickSaveMark_1").Delete
End With
On Error GoTo 0
End Sub

I put three buttons on my QAT to set a QuickMark, goto back to a QuickMark
and clear the QuickMarks. I just use the QAT to go back to the last
QuickMark when a document is opened. That could be set to Shift+F5 or the
code could easily be adapapted to goto the last QuickMark when a document is
opened.

I am pretty satisfied with the code. The only thing I want to revise when I
get the time is to not set the Quickmark automatically when I open and
modify templates.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See: