DFM

Default re Creation of master docs from exsiting docs

Is there a trick to making master docs from exisiting docs beyond, following
the instructions?
I have no problems with creating master/sub docs if I start with a new file.
But if i take an exsiting word doc and try to make it a master doc, the
master doc menu remains stubbornly low lighted. The software. both OS and
Wordis patched to latest levels.
As a supplemental question is the master/doc technology stable enough for
large docs ie +/- 150k words?. i was involved in large doc preparation in
the early days of master/sub technology in Word and it was not always the
most stable of technologies. I suppose what I am really asking is if its
used properly and the rules followed is it robust enough for me not to have
to worry about it.
Thanks in advance for yelp

Regards
DFM

Daiya Mitchell

It's still not stable...

Why Master Documents corrupt:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm

How to recover a Master Document:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm

Steve Hudson [Word Heretic] on how to make Master Documents work safely:
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...dhomepage.html

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

DFM

Thanks a lot for your swift response, I'd admit to being s bit suprised at
the answer. The Hudson article makes a very good case for using the Master
as the vehicle for the final assembly/ formating/ printing of the document,
rarther than as a starting point. I commend it to anyone thinking of very
large document creation projects. "Use with Caution" sums it up I think.

Regards
DFM