Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura Charles Johnson

Default Strange blinking header/footer

Hi all!

I'm working in Word 2003 trying to put in some headers and footers. There
are several section breaks and switching between landscape and portrait.
Problem is that I'm doing some cutting & pasting of footer/header info - and
when I do, something weird happens and the footer "blinks" between two
different sets of footers. it's hard to describe. I can try to take a
screenshot of the blinking and send it to whoever is interested.

Can someone assist me? Have you heard of this before? How do I fix it?

Laura Charles Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

My guess is that you have a table and a framed page number in the footer
which flashes. Sometimes Word just can't make up its mind how to position
two such elements relative to each other when they can't both fit side by
side in their alloted places. If so, try changing the size of the table a
little, or moving the page number out of the frame.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Laura Charles Johnson" wrote in message
Hi all!

I'm working in Word 2003 trying to put in some headers and footers. There
are several section breaks and switching between landscape and portrait.
Problem is that I'm doing some cutting & pasting of footer/header info -

and
when I do, something weird happens and the footer "blinks" between two
different sets of footers. it's hard to describe. I can try to take a
screenshot of the blinking and send it to whoever is interested.

Can someone assist me? Have you heard of this before? How do I fix it?

Laura Charles Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura Charles Johnson

Tony,

I have deleted all of the text boxes that stored the page numbers. This
problem is happening on one page for the header and another page for the
footer.

I have the header info in a table row - and as long as I keep the table row
below a certain width, I don't get the blinking. When I move it past that
width, it starts.

Also - this works with/without Same As Previous checked.

Laura
"Tony Jollans" My Forename at My Surname dot com wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

A table by itself shouldn't do this - well Word shouldn't do it at all of
course - I mean AFAIK a table by itself doesn't do this

Is there anything else at all (bar the table) in the header and footer which
give the trouble?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura Charles Johnson

Tony,

Not that I know of. I've expanded the header looking for a stray paragraph
marker, anything. There's simply nothing else there.

One thing I did find is that I had First Page Different checked in the
section...so I unchecked it. Didn't solve the blinking thing - but it did
solve another problem I was having.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Sorry for the delay - I haven't been online much today.

Different First Page, etc. won't affect it. As I have already said, all that
I know is the conflict for space between two objects (as opposed to just
text) - a table and a frame being the normal combination.

Are you sure you deleted the Frame and not just the page number inside it?
Empty frames can be hard to find (especially if hiding behind a table) but
if you really have nothing else there I'm afraid I don't know what else to
suggest. Sorry.