Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Center won't work in FIND

I'm using Word XP. I want to find certain items that are NOT
centered. In the FIND box, I can click "Control + Center" and it
shows "centered". But when I click "Control + Center" again, it just
goes blank. It should show "Not Centered."

Can anybody help?

*(((({

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Charles Kenyon

This is but one of many reasons that paragraph styles are developed to
handle formatting consistently.
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm

With a copy of your document, try formatting your entire document red. Then
use a find and replace to format all paragraphs that are currently centered
with centered text that is colored automatically. Then search for red text.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"*((({" wrote in message
I'm using Word XP. I want to find certain items that are NOT
centered. In the FIND box, I can click "Control + Center" and it
shows "centered". But when I click "Control + Center" again, it just
goes blank. It should show "Not Centered."

Can anybody help?

*(((({

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Charles & Suzanne,

Let's try this again:

The FIND box can be used to find formatting -- click CONTROL plus
the format letter (Control + Center, left, right, justify, bold,
italic, etc). And it turns the formatting ON in the FIND box.
Click the control + whatever AGAIN, and the FIND box says "NOT
whatever".
On my computer, I can FIND "Not Justified", "Not Bold", etc. I
cannot find "Not centered".
WHERE is my not centered?

Charles -- FYI, -- I've got a bunch of cases from Westlaw that need to
be formatted better. They arrive with direct formatting and no
styles. I'm setting up some macros to help me by applying styles.
One of them macros involves finding some text that is NOT centered.

PS: I'm getting old, Charles; I'm the oldest law student in my
school. I'm older than some of the Professors. My eyes are old.
Plus, I've got a vision problem that is impairing my ability to work
on-screen and sometimes in print. I am getting around this by
tweaking my settings and getting the biggest frigging monitor that
they make.

My doownload options are Courier or TNR, neither of which I can read
on screen worth a damn; and I can't read the TNR when it's printed out
at all. I need to get these things into a larger font.

Please reconsider my request, re-think using ^c in the FIND box, and
let's see if we can get my ^c to work so that ^c^c gives me "not
centered."

*(((({

In the last exciting episode on Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:54:59 -0500,
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Centering is not an either/or thing. There are four possible alignments, of
which Centered is one; if it's not centered, it's left- or right-aligned or
justified.

NOT Center would find L, R, J. That's okay by me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

How do you find "Not Justified"? I can't do this any more than I can find
"Not Centered." Yes, I can find Not Bold, Not Italic, etc.; all of these are
either/or, on/off settings, but Centered is not either/or; if it's not
centered, then it has to have some other (specified alignment). You can
search for left-aligned text, then right-aligned, then justified, but you
can't search for "Not Centered."

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Centering is not an either/or thing. There are four possible alignments,

of
which Centered is one; if it's not centered, it's left- or right-aligned

or
justified.

NOT Center would find L, R, J. That's okay by me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Charles Kenyon

I think Suzanne has well covered your original question. By the way, neither
of us work for Microsoft; we're just Word users with some experience. As to
fonts, try 13 or 14 pt Garamond. I like it. (I use Century Schoolbook for
briefs, though.) The 10 point is too crowded.
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Centering is not an either/or thing. There are four possible alignments,
of
which Centered is one; if it's not centered, it's left- or right-aligned
or
justified.

NOT Center would find L, R, J. That's okay by me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Thanks, Charles.

I understand you guys are volunteers. I use Century Schoolbook for
briefs too! I'll give the Garamond a try again; it's a nice looking
font. But I'm needing good on-screen visibility. So far, Verdana and
Palatino seem to work best for me.

*(((({