Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mike1234robe mike1234robe is offline

Default How change name list from John Smith to Smith John

I have a very long list of names in form John Smith; one name per line. I
want to sort by surname in alphabetic order. Is there a quick way I can
reorder each line to put surname first? If not in Word, could I do this in
Excel or other MS application?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can do it with replace - see the examples at
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

mike1234robe wrote:
I have a very long list of names in form John Smith; one name per
line. I want to sort by surname in alphabetic order. Is there a
quick way I can reorder each line to put surname first? If not in
Word, could I do this in Excel or other MS application?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Luc Luc is offline

Mike,
Have a look at this article, scroll till you see The practice, Example 1
Transpose first name and surname.
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/UsingWildcards.htm

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)
I have a very long list of names in form John Smith; one name per line. I
want to sort by surname in alphabetic order. Is there a quick way I can
reorder each line to put surname first? If not in Word, could I do this
in
Excel or other MS application?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rae Drysdale Rae Drysdale is offline

You can also sort on the surname without re-ordering each line. I recently
learnt this trick from Suzanne S. Barnhill. Select the list, and go to Table
--
Rae Drysdale

"mike1234robe" wrote:

I have a very long list of names in form John Smith; one name per line. I
want to sort by surname in alphabetic order. Is there a quick way I can
reorder each line to put surname first? If not in Word, could I do this in
Excel or other MS application?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mike1234robe mike1234robe is offline

Thanks for the pointer. This gives me plenty to work with. Also opened some
new avenues I've not explored before
Regards
Mike R

mike1234robe wrote:
I have a very long list of names in form John Smith; one name per
line. I want to sort by surname in alphabetic order. Is there a
quick way I can reorder each line to put surname first? If not in
Word, could I do this in Excel or other MS application?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mike1234robe mike1234robe is offline

Thanks for this. Still working on this one but looks hopeful for my query -
and some related queries.
Mike R