Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marilyn Marilyn is offline

Default merged documents with numbered lists in text boxes

Is there a way to merge a document that has a numbered list in a text box to
start over at the beginning of the next document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Text boxes are in the graphics layer of the document and unlikely to be seen
by the merge. You need to use frames or table cells instead. As for your
list issue, you would need to explain better what you are trying to do,
however note that a merge starts at the beginning of the data file and
continues to the end. It cannot step back through the records.

Marilyn wrote:
Is there a way to merge a document that has a numbered list in a text
box to start over at the beginning of the next document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Marilyn doesn't want to "step back through the records." She has a (Letter?)
merge that includes a numbered list. As each new "letter" is created, the
numbered list continues the numbering of the previous list, so that the
first letter, for example, has 1, 2, 3, the next has 4, 5, 6, and so on. I
don't know how this could be handled, but that's the issue, I believe.

Marilyn wrote:
Is there a way to merge a document that has a numbered list in a text
box to start over at the beginning of the next document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marilyn Marilyn is offline

Thanks Suzanne. That is exactly what the problem is. I guess I didn't
explain it clearly enough. I actually have 2 different sources. The one
with the actual letter works fine as the "start over" command works, but does
not work in the text box. I had to use the text box as it prints on a form
with a number of merges onto a pre-printed form. I found it much easier to
get the boxes to line up much easier than using the advance codes.

Marilyn wrote:
Is there a way to merge a document that has a numbered list in a text
box to start over at the beginning of the next document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't think the text box is really the relevant issue here, but note that
you could equally well use a frame or a wrapped table cell, either of which
can be positioned precisely. As for how to get the numbering to restart,
have a look at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...artMethods.htm to
see if there's anything there that you could use (the dummy higher-level
style is what I would recommend).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Marilyn doesn't want to "step back through the records." She has a

(Letter?)
merge that includes a numbered list. As each new "letter" is created,

the
numbered list continues the numbering of the previous list, so that the
first letter, for example, has 1, 2, 3, the next has 4, 5, 6, and so on.

don't know how this could be handled, but that's the issue, I believe.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Marilyn wrote:
Is there a way to merge a document that has a numbered list in a

text
box to start over at the beginning of the next document?

Merge Multiple Documents with Numbered Lists [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 1 May 2nd 07 05:38 PM
How do I combine documents and maintain numbered lists GregMiddleton Microsoft Word Help 2 April 30th 07 05:36 PM
Numbered Lists Link New Users 13 April 29th 07 05:25 PM
restart numbered lists in master documents usergal Microsoft Word Help 1 February 23rd 05 02:27 PM
Justifed text in Numbered lists, last line of parapgraph spacing m ITILMan Microsoft Word Help 4 February 6th 05 04:57 PM