Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DocG DocG is offline

Default How do I set up more than one index in Word 2007?

I want to set up two indices -- Names and Addresses. I'm using a concordance
document for Names. How do I set up a second index for Addresses?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Each index entry (XE field) must contain an \f switch with a designation for
the index it should go in. According to Word's Help:

\f "Type"
Defines an entry type. The entry for the field { XE "Selecting Text" \f
"a" } is included only in an index inserted by the field { INDEX \f "a" }.
The default entry type is "i."

In other words, you can put \f "a" in the entries for addresses and \f "n"
in the entries for names, then create two indexes--{ INDEX \f "a" } and {
INDEX f\ "n" } to include the two sets of entries.

It may be that you need label only one set--that is, that those without a
switch will be included in the default INDEX (with no switch), and the ones
with a switch will be included in the corresponding index--but I'm not sure
about that.

"DocG" wrote in message
I want to set up two indices -- Names and Addresses. I'm using a
concordance
document for Names. How do I set up a second index for Addresses?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

IIRC, in 2003 when you do multiple indexes, if you don't put the
switch into an {INDEX} field, then it includes all the marked items,
whichever switch they have. (But it's been about two years since I had
multiple indexes.)