Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Lisa is offline

Default I don't know the terminology...

but I need to set up a blank letter which will be used by others. The letter
could be of any length (one page to several pages long) and I want it so that
the content can be changed but the address, date, etc must be in the same
place everytime. It would also be good if the font couldn't be changed.

I remember working somewhere that had a link in the main bar at the top of
the page (the File Edit View bar). You could click on the link and it would
take you to a kind of wizard where you would type in the address, who the
letter was from etc and it would generate a blank letter where you just
needed to insert some text in the main body.

Sorry I'm sure that this is a very basic query but I am totally stuck.

Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Lisa wrote:
but I need to set up a blank letter which will be used by others.
The letter could be of any length (one page to several pages long)
and I want it so that the content can be changed but the address,
date, etc must be in the same place everytime. It would also be good
if the font couldn't be changed.

I remember working somewhere that had a link in the main bar at the
top of the page (the File Edit View bar). You could click on the
link and it would take you to a kind of wizard where you would type
in the address, who the letter was from etc and it would generate a
blank letter where you just needed to insert some text in the main
body.

Sorry I'm sure that this is a very basic query but I am totally stuck.

Thanks for any help

Set up the blank as a "template" (when you save it, set the "File type"
dropdown in the Save As dialog to "Word Template (*.dot)" ). Then users can
put it into their Templates folder and use the File New command to make
new documents based on the template.

For help on creating a letterhead, read
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Jay has said, what you are probably remembering is the Letter
Wizard. I think it's still present in versions through Word 2003 (look on
the Letters & Faxes tab in the New or Templates dialog), but there are no
wizards in Word 2007.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Lisa wrote:
[...]

so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EricM EricM is offline

No wizards in 2007?!? What is used instead? I don't mean to hijack the
post, and if I have more questions I'll start a new thread; I was just very
surprised when I heard this answer. Thanks.
- Eric

Lisa wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think some of the old wizards still work, if you have them installed, and
there are lots of glitzy new templates.

Lisa wrote:
[...]

newsgroup
so all may benefit.