#1   Report Post  

Default Difference Between Left Indent and Hanging Indent?

I'm working in Word 2003 - but assume it's the same in 2007 and 2010 as well. What, if anything, is the difference between a Left Indent and a Hanging Indent? They seem to have to be moved together on the top ruler - so what is the difference? Can they actually be moved separately?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Dave
  #2   Report Post  

They can. You can either use the slider in the top bar, or go to Format - Paragraph.

As i understand it, the left indent is the position of the paragraph in relation to the position of the left margin of the page.

The hanging indent is is the position of the following lines of the paragraph.

For example, a haning indent would be used when you want the paragraph to have a number and you want the following lines of the paragraph to line up with the start of the text, rather than the number. This is set automatically when a numbered list is applied.

Hope this helps
  #3   Report Post  

Thanks for the response. Where I got confused is that whether you slide the Hanging Indent handle or the Left Indent handle, they BOTH move together - so it appears that the same thing will happen regardless of which handle you slide - but depending on which one you slide, you get different results! Not the most intuitive to say the least - but does work in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
They can. You can either use the slider in the top bar, or go to Format - Paragraph.

As i understand it, the left indent is the position of the paragraph in relation to the position of the left margin of the page.

The hanging indent is is the position of the following lines of the paragraph.

For example, a haning indent would be used when you want the paragraph to have a number and you want the following lines of the paragraph to line up with the start of the text, rather than the number. This is set automatically when a numbered list is applied.

Hope this helps
  #4   Report Post  

No probs.

You can see it in action by moving the slider to the right, say, 1.27 cm's. Place the top marker back to its original place. Type a number in, then hit tab. Type a paragraph. You'll see the text aligns up correctly. If you then play with the sliders, it makes it a bit easier to get your head around.
  #5   Report Post  

Well the left indent is one part of the position of the document like if you want to position your paragraph at left side of the page is called Left Indent,While
Hanging indent is related with the position of the Lining of you paragraph.