Winston

Default Mail Merge Access to Word using a Query

WinXPPro. Office 2002 Pro. Have been using Mail Merge using Jet 4 OLE DB
Provider and it has worked fine. Need to change so that the Mail Merge uses
a query in Access as its data source rather than a table. This option is not
available in OLE etc. So I changed data source to OCBC DSN and I can see the
queries. But... it doesn't execute the Access query... just returns the full
table (not using the criteria logic of the query). I changed the query so it
uses a 2nd linked table rather than a criteria... still get all the records
in the main table of the query. Can anyone help?
thank you,
Winston
Doug Robbins

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then on the General tab,
check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. After doing
that, when you attach the data source to the mailmerge main document, you
will be given a number of options for the method of connection. Try the
different options and see if can get the desired result.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Winston" wrote in message
WinXPPro. Office 2002 Pro. Have been using Mail Merge using Jet 4 OLE DB
Provider and it has worked fine. Need to change so that the Mail Merge
uses
a query in Access as its data source rather than a table. This option is
not
available in OLE etc. So I changed data source to OCBC DSN and I can see
the
queries. But... it doesn't execute the Access query... just returns the
full
table (not using the criteria logic of the query). I changed the query so
it
uses a 2nd linked table rather than a criteria... still get all the
records
in the main table of the query. Can anyone help?
thank you,
Winston

Mike

Winston,

What SP of Office XP do you have? I tried this same thing (Office XP Sp3
here) and it worked okay (eg, displayed the results of the query). One
thought - in Access, right click at the top of the query design (the field
list), click properties, see if "Output all fields" is set to yes. I don't
think this would matter - it's just a guess.

I'm also not certain why you say the option's not available in OLE - how are
you linking Access with Word?

Mike

"Winston" wrote in message
WinXPPro. Office 2002 Pro. Have been using Mail Merge using Jet 4 OLE DB
Provider and it has worked fine. Need to change so that the Mail Merge

uses
a query in Access as its data source rather than a table. This option is

not
available in OLE etc. So I changed data source to OCBC DSN and I can see

the
queries. But... it doesn't execute the Access query... just returns the

full
table (not using the criteria logic of the query). I changed the query so

it
uses a 2nd linked table rather than a criteria... still get all the

records
in the main table of the query. Can anyone help?
thank you,
Winston

Mail merge - Word 2003/Access 2000 Russell Farr Mailmerge 7 March 24th 06 12:03 AM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Cannot access outlook contacts through Word mail merge firepastor Mailmerge 2 January 13th 05 08:37 PM