Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa5015 Lisa5015 is offline

Default How do you get New England Zip codes to export all five digits?

I can't seem to get any New Englad Zip Codes to export all five digits - they
have a 0 (zero) at the front and it hold in excel but won't reproduce in Word.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You need a formatting switch on your Word field -

Lisa5015 wrote:
I can't seem to get any New Englad Zip Codes to export all five
digits - they have a 0 (zero) at the front and it hold in excel but
won't reproduce in Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa5015 Lisa5015 is offline

I'm basically lost. I don't know where to start. Do you have a screen capture
I could reference? I know how to do a mail merge but then it comes to the {}
things, I dont know how to get there.

I need to start from scratch on this one. Could you walk me through it?

Lisa5015 wrote:
I can't seem to get any New Englad Zip Codes to export all five
digits - they have a 0 (zero) at the front and it hold in excel but
won't reproduce in Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Press Alt+F9. Your display will change from Zip to {Mergefield Zip}
Add the switch eg {Mergefield Zip \# "00000"}
Press F9 to update then ALT+F9 to toggle the display back again
If you need to create fields by hand the CTRL+F9 creates the brackets - the
rest is types from the keyboard.

Lisa5015 wrote:
I can't seem to get any New Englad Zip Codes to export all five
digits - they have a 0 (zero) at the front and it hold in excel but
won't reproduce in Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter A Peter A is offline

In article ,
says...

Lisa5015 wrote:
I can't seem to get any New Englad Zip Codes to export all five
digits - they have a 0 (zero) at the front and it hold in excel but
won't reproduce in Word.

If the data are originally in Excel, you need to enter the zip codes as
text rather than a number - which causes leading zeros to vanish, as you
have found out. You can do this 2 ways, a cell at a time by entering an
apostrophe before the zip '012324, or a bunch at a time by using the
format, cells command to assign the Text format to the cells (before
entering the data).

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers