Tracey L

Default why can't I delete some styles?

In my document, I have created new styles. I want to delete all those that I
have not created, but the option to delete is not given on some of the old
styles. How can I delete them please?

Word's built-in styles cannot be completely deleted. If you view "Styles in
use" in Format | Style, you can "delete" all but Normal, Default Paragraph
Font, and any built-in heading styles (Headings 1-3 are displayed by
default, but any others you have used will also be listed). The fonts you
"delete" aren't really deleted, just reset to their default Normal.dot
formatting, but they won't be displayed in the Styles list, which always
represents "Style in use."

If you have Word 2002 or 2003, you can use the Custom setting to specify
exactly which styles you want displayed.