Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Terry Terry is offline

Default Protecting Word documents

This is about rights management.

I have documents with an AFL extension that open and can be edited in Word.

I want to distribute these as read only, and prevent copying, sharing,
attaching to email etc.

Word 2003 is the minimum for entering such restrictions, I know, but can
someone tell me what else is needed?

And can these restrictions be applied to an AFL document? An AFL contains
code that must be accessed by a third-party application. Is it possible?

Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Any document that you allow someone else to see can be duplicated by that
person. The duplicated document can be reproduced without restriction.The
best you can do is slow them down for a few minutes.

Terry wrote:
This is about rights management.

I have documents with an AFL extension that open and can be edited in
Word.

I want to distribute these as read only, and prevent copying, sharing,
attaching to email etc.

Word 2003 is the minimum for entering such restrictions, I know, but
can someone tell me what else is needed?

And can these restrictions be applied to an AFL document? An AFL
contains code that must be accessed by a third-party application. Is
it possible?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Terry Terry is offline

My understanding is that the rights management feature of Word 2003 and above
enables control over editing, sharing, copying etc.

All I want to know is:

1) Can this be applied to AFL documents?
2) Do I need anything else apart from Word 2003 + to do this?
3) Will it be possible for the content of such protected .AFL files to be
read by a third-party application?

The code contained in AFL files contains formulas that need to be read.

Thanks.

Terry wrote:
This is about rights management.

I have documents with an AFL extension that open and can be edited in
Word.

I want to distribute these as read only, and prevent copying, sharing,
attaching to email etc.

Word 2003 is the minimum for entering such restrictions, I know, but
can someone tell me what else is needed?

And can these restrictions be applied to an AFL document? An AFL
contains code that must be accessed by a third-party application. Is
it possible?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

So it does, but it's a false illusion that the document is protected from
users who want to reproduce it. *Any* document you allow someone to see is
theirs to do with as they wish.