Shan

Default Empty cells in data source

I am using Excel as my data source for merge document I created myself. The
document has borders around certain areas.

Problem is, I don't want to fill the Excel empty cells with "NA" if there is
no data (no mobile phone number or email address for example). When I perform
the merge, it "deflates" if you will, the borders I had set up where no data
merged and messes up my formatting (columns). I tried to add a switch (
{Mergefield Mobile_Phone \b" "} ) with no luck.

Plus, this drops my very last bordered item that is currently in a column
(right side of column 2 set up) to page 2. I don't know how to prevent this
from happening.
Peter Jamieson

Try either of the following:
a. just put a space after the merge field (of course that may screw up the
output where there /is/ a phone number)
b. use a nested IF field, e.g.

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD Mobile_Phone }" = "" " " "{ MERGEFIELD Mobile_Phone }" }

All the {} need to be the special field codes you can enter using ctrl-F9.

Peter Jamieson
"Shan" wrote in message
I am using Excel as my data source for merge document I created myself. The
document has borders around certain areas.

Problem is, I don't want to fill the Excel empty cells with "NA" if there
is
no data (no mobile phone number or email address for example). When I
perform
the merge, it "deflates" if you will, the borders I had set up where no
data
merged and messes up my formatting (columns). I tried to add a switch (
{Mergefield Mobile_Phone \b" "} ) with no luck.

Plus, this drops my very last bordered item that is currently in a column
(right side of column 2 set up) to page 2. I don't know how to prevent
this
from happening.

Peter Jamieson

Trying it is usually the best and most reliable way to find out :-)

The only thing that counts is what the value of { MERGEFIELD Mobile_Phone }
is when you have a "blank" number. If it is "", then the IF filed should
work. If it is something like (..), then modify the comparison so you get

"Shan" wrote in message
I am using Excel as my data source for merge document I created myself.
The
document has borders around certain areas.

Problem is, I don't want to fill the Excel empty cells with "NA" if
there
is
no data (no mobile phone number or email address for example). When I
perform
the merge, it "deflates" if you will, the borders I had set up where no
data
merged and messes up my formatting (columns). I tried to add a switch (
{Mergefield Mobile_Phone \b" "} ) with no luck.

Plus, this drops my very last bordered item that is currently in a
column
(right side of column 2 set up) to page 2. I don't know how to prevent
this
from happening.

DotNet Data Table as Mail Merge Data Source goraya Mailmerge 1 July 7th 05 09:51 AM
Data Source abarrett Mailmerge 1 May 6th 05 06:15 AM
Specific Email Merge w/ Specific Attachements Mark B Mailmerge 9 February 21st 05 05:10 AM
Cannot Find Its Data Source Dave Foote Mailmerge 3 December 17th 04 11:27 AM
Merge Data Source path Peter Jamieson Mailmerge 0 November 25th 04 07:15 PM