Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bgallen1975 Bgallen1975 is offline

Default read-only command line switch

I am attempting to find a command line switch for Winword.exe that is similar
to the one I use to open excel documents in read-only. In excel, we use
"excel.exe /r filepath/document.xls" to prevent users from changing some
forms. I can't find a similar switch for winword -- which seems odd. I'm
looking for a command that would be as follows: winword.exe /readonlyswitch
filepath/word.doc

I'm currently using word 2003 & 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I'm afraid that will not stop users from changing the forms. It would take
them all of five minutes to work around it.
See http://www.gmayor.com/Remove_Password.htm

Bgallen1975 wrote:
I am attempting to find a command line switch for Winword.exe that is
similar to the one I use to open excel documents in read-only. In
excel, we use "excel.exe /r filepath/document.xls" to prevent users
from changing some forms. I can't find a similar switch for winword
-- which seems odd. I'm looking for a command that would be as
follows: winword.exe /readonlyswitch filepath/word.doc

I'm currently using word 2003 & 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bgallen1975 Bgallen1975 is offline

Given that you are right about the work around, that is not relevant to my
question. For our purposes, this works fine in excel, I'm just looking for a
similar switch in word. Does it exist?