Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bendjoe bendjoe is offline

Default Word Template

hi,
I have a word template created by someone else, When I open the template it
asks some questions and prompts the user to enter the answer in a text box.
And based on the answer entry the document is populated. I need to get rid of
this functionality. How can I do this I have word 2003.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:57:02 -0800, bendjoe
wrote:

hi,
I have a word template created by someone else, When I open the template it
asks some questions and prompts the user to enter the answer in a text box.
And based on the answer entry the document is populated. I need to get rid of
this functionality. How can I do this I have word 2003.
Thanks

There are a couple of ways this might have been set up.

The most probable method is that the template creator inserted either ASK fields
or FILLIN fields, both of which display an input box when the fields are
updated. To look for these, press Alt+F9 to display field codes. Do you see
anything that looks like

{ASK xxx yyy}

or

{FILLIN xxx}

where xxx and yyy are some other text? If so, select those fields and delete
them. Press Alt+F9 again to go back to the regular view.

Now select the whole document and press F9. If you've removed all the ASK and
FILLIN fields, you won't get any boxes. But now look for bold text "Error!
Reference source not found." If there are any of these, delete them (they're
references to the information that would have been in an ASK field.

If none of this gets rid of the boxes, the template creator may have used a
macro to display them. Press Alt+F11 and look for any macro code stored in the
template (the Project Explorer pane on the left side of the Visual Basic editor
will show you a tree view of the loaded templates and documents, and the code
would be in a module under the template's "folder" icon). If you find anything,
especially ones that start with "Sub AutoNew" or "Sub AutoOpen" or "Sub
Document_New" or "Sub Document_Open", then post the text of the code -- you may
or may not want some of the stuff that's there.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman