Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CAPTGNVR CAPTGNVR is offline

Default Abbreviations auto correct

Dear All

I want to type a list of 20 abbreviations and their full form.

Pls suggest how to transfer this 20 abbreviations at one go into the auto
correct list instead of typing individually.

Would appreciate even if u give links to read up on this.

brgds/captgnvr
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

A simple VBA procedu

Sub AddAutoCorrects()
AutoCorrect.Entries.Add "Abbr #1", "Expansion number 1"
AutoCorrect.Entries.Add "Abbr #2", "Expansion number 2"
etc. ...
End Sub

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
Dear All

I want to type a list of 20 abbreviations and their full form.

Pls suggest how to transfer this 20 abbreviations at one go into the auto
correct list instead of typing individually.

Would appreciate even if u give links to read up on this.

brgds/captgnvr

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CAPTGNVR CAPTGNVR is offline

Good Day Tony and thanks for such quick response and it works great.

Actually I am on the ship and made the list as you have guided.

If I copy this word document to my home computer when I go home will it
still work? or do I have to write this VB in my home computer -- like copy
the sub procedure?

brgds/captgnvr

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
Dear All

I want to type a list of 20 abbreviations and their full form.

Pls suggest how to transfer this 20 abbreviations at one go into the auto
correct list instead of typing individually.

Would appreciate even if u give links to read up on this.

brgds/captgnvr

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CAPTGNVR CAPTGNVR is offline

Sorry Tony for asking so quickly another one.

Once the list becomes long i wont be able to remember all the abbreviations.

So Can u pls also sugest a way to get the list of all these abbreviations so
that I can recall it on the screen by using right clicking on the word
document I am using?

Pls help.
brgds/captgnvr

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
Dear All

I want to type a list of 20 abbreviations and their full form.

Pls suggest how to transfer this 20 abbreviations at one go into the auto
correct list instead of typing individually.

Would appreciate even if u give links to read up on this.

brgds/captgnvr

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

If the code is in a document, it will transfer with the document but if it
is in the Normal template (more likely, perhaps) then it will stay where it
is. In the VB editor there is a Project Explorer window (press Ctrl+R to see
it if it is not visible) which lists all the 'projects' (each document and
template has a VB project) and the modules within them - and the content of
the selected module is shown in the main window. You can cut and paste the
text (using the main window) - or you can click and drag whole modules in
the project explorer.

The AutoCorrects themselves will remain where they are - although you can
copy the AutoCorrect file if you want (it is in %appdata%\Microsoft\Office
and called MSOnnnn.acl - where nnnn is a number for the language, 1033 for
US English)

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
Dear All

I want to type a list of 20 abbreviations and their full form.

Pls suggest how to transfer this 20 abbreviations at one go into the
auto
correct list instead of typing individually.

Would appreciate even if u give links to read up on this.

brgds/captgnvr

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

That is a much more complex process - you might find Autotexts (with
AutoComplete turned on) an alternative if you are using a version prior to
2007, but, off the top of my head I can't think of an easy way to do it at
all. You can always see your AutoCorrects via Tools AutoCorrect Options,
but are you really going to be regularly wanting to use abbreviations that
you can't remember?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
Dear All

I want to type a list of 20 abbreviations and their full form.

Pls suggest how to transfer this 20 abbreviations at one go into the
auto
correct list instead of typing individually.

Would appreciate even if u give links to read up on this.

brgds/captgnvr

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The macro provided by
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...utocorrect.htm creates an
editable text file to which you can add entries.

http://word.mvps.org

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
Dear All

I want to type a list of 20 abbreviations and their full form.

Pls suggest how to transfer this 20 abbreviations at one go into the auto
correct list instead of typing individually.

Would appreciate even if u give links to read up on this.

brgds/captgnvr

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CAPTGNVR CAPTGNVR is offline

Thnks Tony. Yes I will use may be about 200 short forms for members and
some court terms etc. In the mean time ur answer came, I was thinking of
using the module in word and remove all the quotes etc and have only the
short form and the explanation and save it.

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
Dear All

I want to type a list of 20 abbreviations and their full form.

Pls suggest how to transfer this 20 abbreviations at one go into the
auto
correct list instead of typing individually.

Would appreciate even if u give links to read up on this.

brgds/captgnvr

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
Dear All

I want to type a list of 20 abbreviations and their full form.

Pls suggest how to transfer this 20 abbreviations at one go into the auto
correct list instead of typing individually.

Would appreciate even if u give links to read up on this.

brgds/captgnvr

Thank you Suzanne for the link and I went thro it and will use it as required. What I am looking for is, that some drop down list to see by using right click on a document for the short forms I may not be able to recall.

For instance if a word is typed wrong, right click on it and select auto
correct and will find list of words starting with that letter or pretty
similar words. Similarly I want to view the list of auto correct entries so
that I can click on it and use it.

ex: crrp for crew relieve reliever plan; crrc: crew relief reliever
confirmation. So I may not remember these abbreviation for all and a system
where I can right click and access will help and also will give me a chance
to keep seeing the various abbreviations and get more familiar.
brgds/captgnvr
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

For that purpose, you might be able to use an AutoTextList field; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
news

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mazorj mazorj is offline

"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message
That is a much more complex process - you might find Autotexts (with
AutoComplete turned on) an alternative if you are using a version
prior to 2007, but, off the top of my head I can't think of an easy
way to do it at all. You can always see your AutoCorrects via Tools
AutoCorrect Options, but are you really going to be regularly

wanting to use abbreviations that you can't remember?

Sure. For example, take the standard letter codes for airlines and
airports. Some airlines are well known by their "popular" names that
are not their full official names. Or, is it "Airlines" or "Air
Lines" (two words being the older style)? Ditto for airports. You
may know/remember just enough to enter the letter code or a short
version of the popular name and have it correct to the full, proper
name. Or coming from the opposite direction, you may know the name of
the airport or airline but not the letter code. Make your best guess
and if the proper name pops in, you know you have the correct letter
code. Anyone working in aviation would find that very useful and I'm
sure there are parallel uses in just about any occupation.

I had a long list of such memory helpers that went bye-bye when we
upgraded Word. I didn't have a back-up to import and never found the
time or ambition to re-create it from scratch.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
Dear All

I want to type a list of 20 abbreviations and their full form.

Pls suggest how to transfer this 20 abbreviations at one go into
the auto
correct list instead of typing individually.

Would appreciate even if u give links to read up on this.

brgds/captgnvr

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

I think that is slightly different from what captgnvr is asking. As you
never found it worthwhile to recreate your crib sheet, it can't have been
that useful but, as per Suzanne's post, you can create one if you have the
entries as AutoCorrects.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
Dear All

I want to type a list of 20 abbreviations and their full form.

Pls suggest how to transfer this 20 abbreviations at one go into the
auto
correct list instead of typing individually.

Would appreciate even if u give links to read up on this.

brgds/captgnvr

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mazorj mazorj is offline

"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message
I think that is slightly different from what captgnvr is asking.

I don't see any fundamental difference, but even if there is, I was
only responding to your question, not trying to help him with his. I
hope you see now that there are times when you could be "regularly
wanting to use abbreviations that you can't remember." :-)

As you never found it worthwhile to recreate your
crib sheet, it can't have been that useful

Now that's presumptive of you to say. It was extremely useful when I
had it after building it bit by bit over several years. But retyping
it from scratch was not a good use of my work time when there were far
more urgent priorities. Remember, part of the point here was not
being able to remember! There's no way I could have remembered half
the entries, let alone recreated them in a few data entry sessions.
And since I was under the impression that everything would be lost in
the next upgrade anyway, there seemed to be no point in re-building it
bit by bit as before.

but, as per Suzanne's post, you can create one if you have the
entries as AutoCorrects.

If I had known that the AutoText entries would not surivive, and if I
had known that you can back-up/export, edit, and import AutoCorrect
tables with Dave Rado's macro, I would have used AutoCorrect. (And to
be fair, I partially blame our tech support people for not alerting us
to this when they upgraded Word. Their bad. They even wiped
normal.dot - we had to manually reconfigure Word to our preferences.)
But AutoText offers the option of it proposing and you accepting a
change, while AutoCorrect just does it and you may not have noticed an
unwanted change as you continue typing (been there, done that). So
for anything other than idiot-proof changes like turning (tm) into the
trademark symbol, I preferred, and still prefer, the "ask first"
method under AutoText.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

I always enjoy the helpful posts here! My only regrets are that after
26 years on the Internet, why did it take me so long to look into the
Microsoft Communities forums; and gleaning all those useful nuggets
from 6 MS forums is eating into my play time. :-(

www.WordArticles.com

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
Dear All

I want to type a list of 20 abbreviations and their full form.

Pls suggest how to transfer this 20 abbreviations at one go
into the auto
correct list instead of typing individually.

Would appreciate even if u give links to read up on this.

brgds/captgnvr

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Perhaps I was a little presumptive in my assertions; my apologies. I can
certainly understand the frustration of losing an aid built up over years.

Word has many Auto-features (I have often thought about writing a piece
entitled "Auto-what?" and have notes from several attempts), each with
slightly different features (and quirks) but it should be possible to
provide lists of any or all of them - if you still have them

I partially blame our tech support people for not alerting us to this
when they upgraded Word. Their bad. They even wiped normal.dot - we had
to manually reconfigure Word to our preferences.)

I'm sure there must be competent tech support departments somehwere but
neither I, nor any poster I've ever seen here, seems to have been fortunate
enough to have found them. I have known individual tech support people who
were very good but never departments, and almost never policies. I do wonder
if there is any tech department anywhere that understands what the Normal
Template is. /rant

... and gleaning all those useful nuggets from 6 MS forums is eating into
my play time. :-(

I contribute to more than 6, and read, probably more than 60. It consumes
far more than just play time :-) I am also still learning every day.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"mazorj" wrote in message

"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message
I think that is slightly different from what captgnvr is asking.

I don't see any fundamental difference, but even if there is, I was only
responding to your question, not trying to help him with his. I hope you
see now that there are times when you could be "regularly wanting to use

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
Dear All

I want to type a list of 20 abbreviations and their full form.

Pls suggest how to transfer this 20 abbreviations at one go into
the auto
correct list instead of typing individually.

Would appreciate even if u give links to read up on this.

brgds/captgnvr

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mazorj mazorj is offline

"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message
Perhaps I was a little presumptive in my assertions; my apologies. I
can certainly understand the frustration of losing an aid built up
over years.

Word has many Auto-features (I have often thought about writing a
piece entitled "Auto-what?" and have notes from several attempts),
each with slightly different features (and quirks) but it should be
possible to provide lists of any or all of them - if you still have
them

Heh, AutoWhat also happens to be the name of an excellent PC Magazine
Windows utility. It allows you to systematically view and edit/delete
all the drop-down entries for all the various fields from websites,
etc. They haven't updated it yet for Vista. I just fired off a
request to them because it only works on my XP machine.

I have Office 2003 Word so my experience is limited to that. Aside
from what I already noted about the difference between AutoText and
AutoCorrect, the best advice I can offer for new or even moderately
adept users to discover some of Word's automated and non-automated
capabilities is to start opening and reading the Options tabs, inspect
the commands available under Customize, and use View/Toolbars to open
and explore all the icons in them. Open a Toolbar and put the cursor
over an icon for a ToolTip description, which usually tells you enough
about it. Just by exploring these three areas you will find features
and capabilities that you had no idea existed. At least a few will be
useful for you no matter how much or how little you use Word.

That's casting a wider net than just the AutoText/AutoCorrect
features, but the only area I can think of to explore under the "auto"
rubric is the Smart Tags. In my uses I don't really need them but
they appear to be a really powerful feature for anyone who can benefit
by exploiting outside data sources in their Word documents.