Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cmdr Slam Cmdr Slam is offline

Default Re-Using Endnotes

Hi All,

I'm putting endnotes in my document and want to re-use some of them
throughout the doc. For example, I would like to refer to endnote "i" from
several different places in the doc. The problem is that everytime I place an
endnote, Word assumes it is a new endnote and gives it the next number.

How can I place an endnote that refers to an existing endnote?

TIA,
Sal
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can insert cross-references to an existing endnote.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Cmdr Slam" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'm putting endnotes in my document and want to re-use some of them
throughout the doc. For example, I would like to refer to endnote "i" from
several different places in the doc. The problem is that everytime I place
an
endnote, Word assumes it is a new endnote and gives it the next number.

How can I place an endnote that refers to an existing endnote?

TIA,
Sal

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cmdr Slam[_2_] Cmdr Slam[_2_] is offline

Hi,

Its me again.

I found where i can use cross-reference to refer to an existing endnote BUT,
the format of the endnote number is different that what is placed when i
simply add an endnote, which are ~almost~ superscript, but not quite.

What i'm saying is that the number placed when adding an endnote does not
exactly match a number that i change to superscript.

I hope this is clear.

Sal

"Cmdr Slam" wrote:

Hi All,

I'm putting endnotes in my document and want to re-use some of them
throughout the doc. For example, I would like to refer to endnote "i" from
several different places in the doc. The problem is that everytime I place an
endnote, Word assumes it is a new endnote and gives it the next number.

How can I place an endnote that refers to an existing endnote?

TIA,
Sal

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In the Cross-reference dialog box, choose "Endnote number (formatted)" for
"Insert reference to"; that way, the reference will have the same formatting
as the original endnote.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Cmdr Slam" wrote:

Hi All,

I'm putting endnotes in my document and want to re-use some of them
throughout the doc. For example, I would like to refer to endnote "i"
from
several different places in the doc. The problem is that everytime I
place an
endnote, Word assumes it is a new endnote and gives it the next number.

How can I place an endnote that refers to an existing endnote?

TIA,
Sal

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cmdr Slam[_2_] Cmdr Slam[_2_] is offline

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for this additional information that solves the formatting problem.
Now i don't want to sound ungrateful but when i hover over the references,
they react differently, as you might expect because one is an endnote and one
is a cross-reference.

Isn't there any way to add an endnote that references an existing endnote?
If not, i think there should be.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In the Cross-reference dialog box, choose "Endnote number (formatted)" for
"Insert reference to"; that way, the reference will have the same formatting
as the original endnote.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I see your point, but there is nothing that you can do about it, as far as I
know.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In the Cross-reference dialog box, choose "Endnote number (formatted)"
for
"Insert reference to"; that way, the reference will have the same
formatting
as the original endnote.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cmdr Slam[_2_] Cmdr Slam[_2_] is offline

Thank you Stefan,

What you have given me is certainly a working option and i'll use it. It
would be nice if it could do what i suggest because i have to believe
research papers that have multiple references to a single source would use
this all the time. How do they do it?

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Slam

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In the Cross-reference dialog box, choose "Endnote number (formatted)"
for
"Insert reference to"; that way, the reference will have the same
formatting
as the original endnote.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In the Cross-reference dialog box, choose "Endnote number (formatted)"
for
"Insert reference to"; that way, the reference will have the same
formatting
as the original endnote.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What you might want to consider instead is a numbered list of references.
See http://daiya.mvps.org/biblio.htm#AlphaEndnotes

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In the Cross-reference dialog box, choose "Endnote number (formatted)"
for
"Insert reference to"; that way, the reference will have the same
formatting
as the original endnote.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Endnotes Article Editor Microsoft Word Help 2 November 14th 07 12:27 PM
How do I convert chapter endnotes into book endnotes? Frustrated Secretary Microsoft Word Help 1 March 5th 06 04:57 PM
Endnotes planky Microsoft Word Help 11 August 9th 05 07:50 PM
Help with endnotes Michel Microsoft Word Help 1 February 13th 05 01:26 AM
Endnotes EndnoteJim Microsoft Word Help 2 February 3rd 05 11:14 PM