Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michelle PR Michelle PR is offline

Default How do I display the UNC path of my document?

In Office 2003 I was able to select the View -Toolbars -Web and the UNC path
of the document was displayed ie \\servername\general\.... We use a lot of
links to documents on our file server and it was a handy , useful and quick
way to get the web address of the document.
I have looked at Prepare - Document propertise in Word 2007, but this just
displays the drive letter path e.g. P:\General\...
Any one know how I can do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michelle PR[_2_] Michelle PR[_2_] is offline

Thanks Jay
unfortunately, that still just gives me the mapped drive location rather
than the UNC path which is what I was after. The UNC path does not rely on
each user mapping the network drive to the same letter and can also be
accessed using the html link of file://\\servername\general\... etc.

Any other ideas?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 14:53:03 -0700, Michelle PR Michelle
wrote:

In Office 2003 I was able to select the View -Toolbars -Web and the UNC path
of the document was displayed ie \\servername\general\.... We use a lot of
links to documents on our file server and it was a handy , useful and quick
way to get the web address of the document.
I have looked at Prepare - Document properties in Word 2007, but this just
displays the drive letter path e.g. P:\General\...
Any one know how I can do this?

You can put the same location box on your Quick Access Toolbar and it will show
UNC paths.

Right-click the Quick Access Toolbar and choose Customize. In the dialog, set
the category dropdown to Commands Not in the Ribbon. Select "Document Location"
from the list and click the Add button to place it in the right-hand column.
Click OK and enjoy.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I'm not sure why you and I are seeing different behavior. Even when I have a
drive mapped to a network folder, the Document Location box on the QAT still
shows me the UNC path. It might be because this little network is just three
computers in a workgroup connected through a router, not a domain.

If you can't get it to work for you, I don't have any other suggestions.