Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Neilsen Bill Neilsen is offline

Default Link documents

I have a series of Master documents that need to be amended on a regular
basis, and "read only" copies of these documents in another folder. These
"read only" copies are accessed by many people, but the master copies are
accessed only by the Publications Department who perform the amendments.
My question is this - is it possible to link the "read only" copy to the
master, allowing any changes made to the master to be automatically reflected
in the "read only" copies?
Our Office version is 2003.
I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Bill,

This might best be handled by putting the files in a folder to which only the Publications Department has edit permissions and
giving your other users Desktop shortcuts or hyperlinks to those documents. Do note, though, that whatever you do isn't likely to
prevent someone saving the document or its contents to another location and changing the document there. In that regard, it's
probably best to make PDF copies of the document and give access to them only.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]