Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Randee Randee is offline

Default Format of page numbers

I've been looking over all the posts here, to find out how to address my
problem. I have a Word 2003 document that has pages 1 through 7 as the front
of the document. Then starts multiple appendices. I need to put page
numbers on these and need to begin Appendix A with the page number A-1, and
so on. I do not have "A-1, A-2, A-3..... " as an option to choose from when
I click the "format page number" icon for the footer. I've tried using the
control-F9 thing, to insert brackets but the brackets show up in the footer
in the left margin, rather than in the middle where I want them. I need to
be able to set up a TOC and can't until I can get this problem worked out.
I've entered section breaks as instructed in other posts here. I'm
completely confused at this point and just need someone to give me the ABC's
of adding these page numbers. If I need to go through the whole document and
take out all the formating and start over, I can, in order to get it all
figured out, but I'd rather not. HELP!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smh smh is offline

I am going to assume that you have a section break between your last page and
the beginning of your appendices.

From the file menu select View, Headers and Footers. On the toolbar that
pops up use the pulldown next to at Insert Auto Text. Click on -Page-. This
will insert the code for a page. All you need to do is put your "A-" in
front of it.

--
Sherri

"Randee" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

She didn't ask this, but what if she needs to cross-reference one of
those pages? Would it know, via something like "include full context,"
that the prefix needs to be given?

On Mar 28, 2:51*pm, smh wrote:
I am going to assume that you have a section break between your last page and
the beginning of your appendices.

From the file menu select View, Headers and Footers. *On the toolbar that

"Randee" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, for the A, B, C, etc., to be included in cross-references or (more
importantly) the TOC, the numbering must be derived from the heading via
"Include chapter number." See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm. For tips on numbering
appendixes, see
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html

On Mar 28, 2:51 pm, smh wrote:
I am going to assume that you have a section break between your last page
and
the beginning of your appendices.

From the file menu select View, Headers and Footers. On the toolbar that