Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hnref hnref is offline

Default Opening Word accesses floppy

I've been having a problem with my floppy drive. It also happens on a
coworker's computer so I know it's not just my machine. Here's the situation:
If I have used a floppy in my computer at some point during the day, the
drive will be accessed every time I open Word until I restart my computer,
even if there is no disk in the drive. I've tried deleting lists of recent
files but nothing seems to work. Anyone else have this problem? I'm running
Windows XP Pro.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi hnref,

The simplest (and safest) solution is to not access files on floppy disks from Word. Apart from the disk access problem you referred
to, that way lies document corruption. The reason for the corruption risk is that Word uses the folder the accessed file is in (ie
the floppy disk) to store some temporary files and this can cause problems if there's insufficient space for both them and the
latest save of the file.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"hnref" wrote in message ...
I've been having a problem with my floppy drive. It also happens on a
coworker's computer so I know it's not just my machine. Here's the situation:
If I have used a floppy in my computer at some point during the day, the
drive will be accessed every time I open Word until I restart my computer,
even if there is no disk in the drive. I've tried deleting lists of recent
files but nothing seems to work. Anyone else have this problem? I'm running
Windows XP Pro.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hnref hnref is offline

Thanks for the advice macropod. Does it only matter how I open the file? I'm
asking because I'm given disks by another person when they need to print out
files (my computer has the printer attached). If this person had accessed
files from the floppy on their computer would it affect my computer if I
opened the files properly? If it would affect my computer still, is there a
way to delete something or change a setting so the access problem is fixed?
Thanks.

"hnref" wrote in message ...
I've been having a problem with my floppy drive. It also happens on a
coworker's computer so I know it's not just my machine. Here's the situation:
If I have used a floppy in my computer at some point during the day, the
drive will be accessed every time I open Word until I restart my computer,
even if there is no disk in the drive. I've tried deleting lists of recent
files but nothing seems to work. Anyone else have this problem? I'm running
Windows XP Pro.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi hnref,

The only safe way is to copy the file onto the HDD and open it from there. How the file is opened on one PC won't affect another PC.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]