Marion G

Default Cross references & Table of Contents with optional clauses (IF fie

I have a problem I need to work across all Word versions. I'm creating a
document (currently in Word 2003) where my heading levels have outline
numbering. One clause of my document is optional, but there are
cross-references within the various subclauses. For example:

1. Heading for Clause 1
1.1 subclause
1.2 subclause
2. Heading for Clause 2
2.1 subclause
2.2 subclause{IF include "
3. Heading for Clause 3 (optional clause)
3.1 subclause with cross-reference to 3.2
3.2 subclause with cross-reference to clause 3
" ""}4. Heading for Clause 3 (back to mandatory clauses)
4.1 etc.

When clause 3 is included, the cross references are correct, but clause 3 is
actually numbered 4. I've tried forcing clause 3 to start at "3", which fixes
the numbering, but then the cross reference to "3.1" results in "1.1". When
clause 3 is excluded, the next clause is still numbered 4.

When I add a TOC to the end of the document with clause 3 included, this has
the same effect as forcing the "3" above. However, if clause 3 is excluded,
next clause numbers correctly as 3. Whether or not clause 3 is included, the
TOC itself has an additional "1", "1.1" and a second "1.1" after "2".

Aaarrrgh! I know this is a nasty one, but can anyone help? In any Word
version 97 or later?

Thanks heaps
Marion
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TWFyaW9uIEc=?=,

I don't think there is any way to realize this in Word, short of using macros.
Numbering within an IF field, whether done with autonumbering or with field
codes, will always update and will always affect numbering following it. MAYBE
you could do this by putting the clause in an AutoText entry, then embedding an
AutoText field in the IF field (or vice versa, to pick up alternate AutoText
entry names).

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org