Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bob Day

Default .DOT is Changing unexpectedly

I have a complicated template (.dot) that I do not want to change in any
way, unless I am specifically modifying that .dot file.

I have found two things are happening:

1) File, New, create a new document based on that dot, modify some
styles, save that document, sometimes (but not always) you get a dialog box
that asks if you want to modify the templated (i.e. something like Save
Changes to Template? Yes/No). I do not want this dialog box to appear
ever, but have not been able to figure out what causes it to appear
sometimes and not others.

2) Paragraph styles in the .dot file change, usually with the word
"Style..." in front of them; Heading 1 becomes "Style Heading 1..." with the
original custom heading 1 still there as a different style. I think this is
caused by someone saying yes to the dialog box above.

I have looked at each paragraph style in the .dot, and they are all
unchecked for "Automatically Update", so I am not sure why the dialog box is
appearing or why the styles in the .dot are being changed. Also, Tools,
AutoCorrection, tab Autoformat As you Type, Define Styles Based On Your
Formating is unchecked.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks!

Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

When a style is modified in a document based on a template, the dialog box
has a place to check to save the change to the template. Doing so will
change the template.

Also, if you have any code that does anything with menus, that would
probably be a change to the template.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.