Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Default HELP! Pages printing small on some computers, not others!

One of our editors recently pulled a document (about 2 years old) out of the
server archive. It was created with either Word 2000 or 2002, under either
Windows 2000 or XP. On her machine and one other, it prints scaled down to
a small size, almost as if there were comments in the document (there
aren't). One another editor's machine, the same doc sent to the same
networked printer prints out just fine. As far as we can tell, it's the
same versions of Windows, Word, and printer drivers. What else can we look
at that would affect certain machines but not others? (Note: I do know
that at least one of the small-printing machines has two monitors
installed.)

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Ed:

Chances are, that's because there is one comment that has not been properly
deleted.

If you look in ToolsOptionsTrack changes and clear the "Use balloons"
checkbox, all should come right.

Cheers

On 17/1/07 8:35 AM, in article , "Ed"
wrote:

One of our editors recently pulled a document (about 2 years old) out of the
server archive. It was created with either Word 2000 or 2002, under either
Windows 2000 or XP. On her machine and one other, it prints scaled down to
a small size, almost as if there were comments in the document (there
aren't). One another editor's machine, the same doc sent to the same
networked printer prints out just fine. As far as we can tell, it's the
same versions of Windows, Word, and printer drivers. What else can we look
at that would affect certain machines but not others? (Note: I do know
that at least one of the small-printing machines has two monitors
installed.)

Ed

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

We thought about that. But this was an already-published document from over
a year ago, which means all comments *should* have been cleared. At least,
it wouldn't have been published if it didn't print right then. And no one
made comments after retrieving it - the editors just wanted to print it.
And it does print fine on one machine - it just scales down on two others.
Can it only be a comment?

Ed

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Display the Reviewing toolbar, click the arrow beside Reject Change/Delete
Comment, and select Delete All Comments in Document. If this doesn't clear
the problem, try accepting all the changes (just in case there is any other
surviving markup).

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread. Please do not

email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst,

Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

What I seem to be hearing is that this behavior is _only_ caused by comments
left in the doc, and we shouldn't bother looking for anything else?
Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Display the Reviewing toolbar, click the arrow beside Reject Change/Delete
Comment, and select Delete All Comments in Document. If this doesn't clear
the problem, try accepting all the changes (just in case there is any
other
surviving markup).

so
all may benefit.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not really. The fact that the behavior is not consistent from one computer
to another (unless some of the other computers have Word 2000 or earlier)
suggests that markup is *not* the issue. But it won't hurt to eliminate it
as a possibility.

"Ed" wrote in message
What I seem to be hearing is that this behavior is _only_ caused by

comments
left in the doc, and we shouldn't bother looking for anything else?
Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Display the Reviewing toolbar, click the arrow beside Reject

Change/Delete
Comment, and select Delete All Comments in Document. If this doesn't

clear
the problem, try accepting all the changes (just in case there is any
other
surviving markup).

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In MacWord 2004, there was a bug (now fixed) that caused this effect if
hidden text was set to print. I've not heard of that bug in WinWord, but
it's worth checking. So also make sure, in Tools | Options | Print and
View, that "hidden text" is unchecked.

But last time someone complained about it, turned out there was
surviving markup, it wasn't the bug. As Suzanne says, Word 2000 doesn't
offer the "comments/markup in margins" feature, so would never show this
problem.

Ed wrote:
What I seem to be hearing is that this behavior is _only_ caused by comments
left in the doc, and we shouldn't bother looking for anything else?
Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Well, it *did* turn out to be Track Changes. Turned off "Use Balloons" and
changed from "Final Showing Markup" to "Final" and all was well again.
Thanks so much for your help.